1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Textiles in Art and Design V Textiles in Technology

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by IamClare, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Hi,

Im coming to the end of my PGCE and am currently doing research on the similarities and differences between textiles within art and design, and textiles within design technology. I would be particularly interested to hear from any teachers that teach across the two disciplines. If anyone has time to answer the following questions it would be very much appreciated:

What do you think are the main similarities/ differences between art and textiles?

Do you think pupils can benefit from knowledge learnt in textiles technology within art and vise versa?

Can you think of any ways the two subjects could cross over?

Is there a possibility for joint projects lower down in the school? would this benefit when pupils are taking GCSE/ A levels in these subjects?

I would also be very interested to hear from any Design Technology teachers that deliver the Textile design endorsement in GCSE/ A level art and design and vise versa art teacher delivering Textile technology exam

Thank you in anticipation

2. Hi,

Im coming to the end of my PGCE and am currently doing research on the similarities and differences between textiles within art and design, and textiles within design technology. I would be particularly interested to hear from any teachers that teach across the two disciplines. If anyone has time to answer the following questions it would be very much appreciated:

What do you think are the main similarities/ differences between art and textiles?

Do you think pupils can benefit from knowledge learnt in textiles technology within art and vise versa?

Can you think of any ways the two subjects could cross over?

Is there a possibility for joint projects lower down in the school? would this benefit when pupils are taking GCSE/ A levels in these subjects?

I would also be very interested to hear from any Design Technology teachers that deliver the Textile design endorsement in GCSE/ A level art and design and vise versa art teacher delivering Textile technology exam

Thank you in anticipation

3. Hi, I teach both Art textiles and DT Textiles and they have many similarities and differences. The main similarities are the practical skills the pupils will learn. There are good crossovers and there is definately opportunity to cross over lower down in the school. In fact I have found since teaching in both areas a lot of things, such as colour theory for example, are taught twice. Therefore schools would benefit from greater communication within departments to ensure this repetition doesn't happen. The main stand out difference for me is that DT Textiles is always making a product for a purpose where as Art Textiles allows for more freedom and pupils to create peices of work to express an idea or for themselves rather than for a 'client'. I think with regards to the GCSE/A-Level it is vital for a child to have an artistic and creative outlook in order to achieve the higher grades in Art. However, in DT although there is a large emphasis on designing innovative ideas, a more academic approach will ensure higher grades as pupils need to have a good knowledge of environmental factors, production methods, properties of materials etc. which isn't as important in Art. Hope this helps.

4. Thank you so much for your reply its really helpful to hear from someone who has experience in both areas.

5. Hello there,
    I find there are really two textile subjects being studied at secondary level;
    Textile Art and Textiles Home Economics. The latter is often called Design Technology but in reality it's Dressmaking and Craft work with industrial theory latched on.
    For a pupil at KS3, Art Textiles and D&T Textiles are almost indistinguishable. Craft activities predominate - machine and hand stitching/embroidery, beadwork, Tie-Dye, Batik etc. The end result is personal to the student - a wall hanging, cushion or some sort of container.
    At GCSE and A Level, Textile Art is a lovely, creative practical subject, clearly part of the Art syllabus. Design Technology remains rooted in the ideas and practices of Home Ecomomics. Design and Technology cannot seem to get away from it's past life - woodwork and metalwork for the boys, cooking and sewing for the girls. Graphics and Electronics are a little more evenly spread.
    In my opinion, D&T Textiles should break it's link with Food. Food should be strong enough to go it alone or link up with Science. Pupils learn how to cook good, healthy and tasty meals. Textiles should be far more commercial and industrial in nature. CAD CAM at KS3 should involve pupils designing on computers and using modern computer controlled industrial knitting, embroidery and printing machines as well as Granny's sewing machine. This is 2010, not 1810! Embroidery hoops should be sent to the Art dept.
    Teaching and learning D&T Textiles is meant to get pupils interested in industrial production and not be a nice practical activity that boys give up and girls use to make a Burda or Simplicity Prom Dress. That's my view anyway. If the country wants it's school children to learn needlework and dressmaking, then Textiles shouldn't pretend to be a Design Technology subject.

6. Hi there, I'm considering moving from DT textiles to Art textiles at A level. The issue for me and the students is the AS exam - the vast majority really struggle with the technical aspect even though its presented in a practical and hands on approach - they just don't like it! I'm curious to know how your college/ school offers both. I would love to do this but not sure if it will confuse students when they select their A levels. (teaching at a 6th from college only, student numbers around 50 across AS and A level DT textiles)