1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Textiles/Fashion Observation Ideas?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by knzben, Jan 8, 2018.

1. knzben

knzben New commenter

Hello!
    I'm currently studying for my PGCE and teaching at a further education college. I've had one observation which went well but have another two coming up and wondering if anybody has any ideas of what I could do? My strengths lie with digital skills so thats what I'm teaching them (adobe creative suite) but wondering whether anyone has any other ideas or has ever done something thats worked well for them? I've taught them the basics but want to think about where else i could take this. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

No idea. In my day fashion and textiles meant working with materials, sewing, knitting and stuff. Digital skills came under computer studies.

3. knzben

knzben New commenter

They need all kinds of skills these days as most fashion is designed using computers so I'm trying to help them with some of these skills. A big part of fashion and textiles is now made using computers.
    If not, I may take a lower level group and see if there are any practical ideas that I can think of to help them with.

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

aaaahhhh.... I see. Beware, some students have very poor I.T. skills.
    If they can actually create something in the lesson that will look good - objective fulfilled. Plus they should all remain on task. Also good if you can embed literacy and numeracy.
    Good Luck

knzben likes this.
  5. olga_olgvn

olga_olgvn New commenter

have no idea