1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Textiles: Behaviour management tips for students sharing sewing machine!!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by joneskerina, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am currently setting up a new Textiles department at a boy's school, we have 10 machines but I have 2O students. I plan to make the students work in pairs, I am only currently teaching this subject to year 7 and year 8. Do you have any useful strategies for making this run smoothly with a class full of boys?
    Thank you
    Kerina Jones

2. I teach mixed classes throughout key stage 3 and in year 7 the boys love learning to use the sewing machine. Year 8 are fine as well, although they do sometimes get a bit despondant when they find the porjects challenging. The weaker boys really stuggle with the concept of sewing inside out!
    In year 7 they have 6 lessons (3 doubles now actually) where they learn to 'Drive the sewing machine' and then achieve their sewing machine Driving Licence. I break this up into chunks and use as much driving realted language as I can - eg speeding and grand prix driving, stopping starting, turning corners. They love it. Most declare it as their favourite lesson. We sewing straight lines, curvy lines, shapes and curves and learn to use the overlockers - which they love as well. It's about confidence and making it fun. Start by telling them they are going to learn to drive - that will get them interested.

3. Sorry also meant to say that mine work in pairs and i allocate them to a machine one between two for the first few lessons - so i know who tidied up at the end! I haven't had organisation or discipline problems with any of the boys even the bottom sets, because they are so enthused in using the equipment and keen to learn.

4. Similiar senario to us - we had 10 machine to 20/21 students. The machines were numbered and related to a specific desk. They were only "allowed" to use their designated machine & if a "problem" occured it is easy to identify students - though rarely had issues. We also did "driving" lessons & we had a stamp made up to say "I've passed my driving test!". - started driving using outlines on paper - then moved to material.
    Also for threading machines - taught one half of the class who then went & taught their partner.