1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Textbooks for teaching grammar in primary schools

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by frog78, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Can anyone recommend a good textbook to cover grammar at Year 6 level?

2. Can anyone recommend a good textbook to cover grammar at Year 6 level?

3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

I can't, but that's because I haven't looked. There are some good guidelines on the internet, as you'll know, but what I have done with two languages starting at various levels from Y3 - Y6 (I've taught primary and secondary) is to make up my own.
    Ok, I've followed a basic structure that one finds in so many of the Y7 starter books - Expo 1, for example - so you start with a bit of stuff about France, get them to think about a few words they might already know - chef, renault, rendezvous, cafe etc. - and do a quiz about places in France. Then you get them introducing themselves - "Bonjour, je m'appelle... j'ai 8 ans... je suis anglais " all the simple stuff. Then in lesson three you simply give them etre written out and, over the next few weeks, they learn to repeat it, write it, sing it. Then the same with avoir ... meantime, you've covered "j'ai un chien ... mon frere a trois souris... ma soeur a un poisson d'or... and it all fits together. Alongside there are displays of numbers, and you get them to spot new things, like the use of un and une both meaning "the", etc.
    Of course, you may not have time, and so this may not be very helpful. But I genuinely think that writing my own stuff worked best for me and my classes. The last Y6 I taught were at Y8 standard when they went on to secondary. But I don't believe in dumbing things down and they certainly knew their grammar - which gave them loads of confidence.
    Good luck!
    PS Sorry, I don't do accents when using other languages in general chat. Sheer idleness! :)

4. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I'm not aware of any. Presumably you are talking about French? Have you looked on the usual resource websites to see if you can find anything suitable?