1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Textbook recommendations for KS3 French

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ikerr, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ikerr

ikerr New commenter

My department is looking at textbooks for KS3 French. We are with the CCEA examination board so if there is anyone in NI in particular who can give me a recommendation, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It's a sad state of affairs when you are choosing your KS3 resources based on which board's exams they will take at the end of KS4. Very sad.

3. Bungie

Bungie New commenter

"It's a sad state of affairs when you are choosing your KS3 resources based on which board's exams they will take at the end of KS4. Very sad."
    Not sad at all - just being professional and planning in advance, so as to maximize your students' chances of success in crucial examinations.

4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Whilst I appreciate that schools and teachers are so judged by results that this is a natural progression in British education, the fact that teaching to the test is now sooo ingrained that it starts in KS3 (or earlier) for an end of KS4 exam - I'm afraid that I do find that very very sad.

We really have lost our way as a nation.

5. ikerr

ikerr New commenter

As a NQT, I started this thread looking for help and support from more experienced teachers. It's a sad state of affairs when I'm immediately criticised. Very sad.

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The criticism wasn't meant to be personal, I apologize. It was meant to be a shot at the current state of affairs.

7. ikerr

ikerr New commenter

What textbook would you recommend for KS3 French with lower ability classes?

8. jt15

jt15 New commenter

Hi ikerr. Perfectly sensible question. We use the Studio books at KS3, with higher and foundation versions in Years 8 and 9. Also the online 'Active Teach' versions of the books with tonnes of extra content. We're very happy with Studio so far. (We're in England and use Edexcel at KS4). If you're on Facebook, try joining the 'Secondary MFL Matters' group - you will get lots of opinions and recommendations there.

ikerr likes this.
  9. ikerr

ikerr New commenter

Thank you for the recommendation, jt15.

10. karaka

karaka New commenter

I use Studio too, with active teach.
    On Facebook, join the MFL Teachers Lounge. Very inclusive.

11. ikerr

ikerr New commenter

Thank you, karaka.

Has anyone used both Studio and Expo? How do they compare?

12. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

bonxie, pascuam49 and JL48 like this.
  13. bonxie

bonxie Occasional commenter

We use Acces Studio (+ online version) with upper primary pupils so I would reckon it would be ideal for lower ability KS3. S1 (Year7) pupils use Studio.

14. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

We use Studio with KS3 classes. We like it, but I do find that some of the examinations included with the course need reviewing/editing. Occasionally, I find that the exam questions (in the exams that are provided with the course) are sometimes inaccessible (e.g. listen to a longish paragraph and put six activities in the order that they are done is too challenging and not good practice for GCSE). There are lots of extra resources with this course that we have used with success. Expect to produce additional resources to be able to differentiate the activities in the textbook. We have the older generation of the course which means that we could buy a front of class resource (ActiveTeach) as a one off purchase. This has now been replaced by an annual subscription.