1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Textbook names

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jane80, Feb 22, 2005.

1. for many years mr goneunderground taught French with a book called Carnaval which had a wasp in it called Syliviane.. swears by it to this day...

2. Random175

Random175 New commenter

I went to school in the 70's and we used Whitmarsh, I am contemplating buying a second hand copy off e-bay, I am sure there is good stuff still in that text book.

3. recently found my whitmarsh! Can't beat it!

4. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Has anyone mentioned the Lavisse family as featured in that classic Q and A textbook Cours Illustré de Français (Mark Gilbert)? I recall a monkey making regular appearances.

That course was revolutionary for its day - but ultimately death by QA.

Steve

5. Yes, I well remember "Cours Illustré"! It was the series I used when I first started teaching. "Death by Question and Answer" sums it up excellently. I have hated comprehension ever since doing it in the OBjective English books in primary school and, as spsmith45 said, Cours Illustré was almsot exclusively Q. & A.

And yes, in answer to your question, aspidistra, in Post #93 (ages ago) I am sure it is the book that inspired Eddie Izzard's routine! I started teaching in 1974, and if Wikipedia is to be believed, Eddie Izzard would have been starting French about then. The monkey, branch, etc. were in the first book (Orange). I could picture the pages as he talked! I have a copy of the book, but it's in storage thousands of miles away in a farm outbuilding. I've looked for a second copy online but I think that, thanks to Monsieur Izzard, it's become a collector's item. If I ever get my book out of stroage, I'll have to scan a few pages in, interested parties for the amusement of.

6. I hadn't heard the technical terms for the fancy German scripts. But I think Ich Lerne Deutsch was the book we used. We started with another book, whose name I don't remember, then during the course of the year, staretd the other one. At first we hated the script, but we soon got used to it. I think the book I most enjoyed was the abridged version of Anne Frank's diary that we read in the fifth form. I had never heard of Anne Frank until then and was mesmerised by it.

And how about Latin books, then?

We started with Marchand and Watson. Parare for the regular verb and puella for the first declension noun. Almost everyone else (including Molesworth) seems to have done amare and mensa.

Then, the next year we had a new teacher and started using Approach to Latin, which I think loads of people used. I hated it at first, because - believe it or not - it seemed too airy fairy! Not enough logical presentation of grammar, with lots of little phrases scattered about. The translations of well-known somgs in the back were fun, though - I still occasionally sing the beginning of the Latin version of "For he's a jolly good fellow".

And then it was down to the serious stuff. De Bello Gallico Book V and poetry with Flewett and Pantin. Nowadays I can't believe I successfully learned all those pages and pages of translation parrot fashion, ready for The Exam. Are GCSE Latien students still doing that nowadays? Come to that, are there any GCSE Latine students nowadays? I do hope so.

7. Wow. "Latin" mistyped twice and a superfluous -e inserted in both versions. Thank heavens the O Levels didn't have to be typed.

8. My first Latin textbook was Civis Romanus (1953).

9. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Cambridge Latin Course, me.

Metella est in horto.
    Caecilius in mesa stabat.

and the classic

statua nasus fractus est.

10. A la page with the wonderful Mimi and Zazou. Can anyone else remember the hilarious mnemonic thingies for pronunciation eg: 'un bon vin blanc' we had to sound out the vowels in each word most days - thanks Miss Thorp! Also, there was a terrific illustration next to the phrase (never to be forgotten and oh so useless) 'Silence, la queue du chat balance'

Come back, A la page, you were a hoot!