1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Textbook names

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jane80, Feb 22, 2005.

1. i think the german one is called echo, the german dept in my school seem happy with it.

we use avance for french which is similar and i like it for the same reasons pj has mentioned below.

what was the german book with franzi the pig in? deutsch heute? we did that at school. classic!

2. mco45

mco45 New commenter

Hell ! Not only is our school still using (occasionally) the old tricolores and Esacaliers we are also still using Einfach Tolls and all the Deutsch Heutes!

3. And on such a diet, mco45, what sort of results are you getting? (Actually, I've always had a soft spot for Deutsch Heute)

4. mco45

mco45 New commenter

Hey! I'm officially 'very good!' 100% A* - C for the last six/seven years. Ok, so only the top sets do German but... (oh and French, about 65% - but that'll improve now the lower sets will doubtless opt to drop it.)

5. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

Dear smoothnewt,
    thankyou for welcoming me to the forum and for taking the time to tell me about your reservations about the 'TL brigade'-I see what you mean, appreciate what you're saying and agree with you on the TL front.
    ps. yes it is definitely Deutsch Heute with Franzi the Pig.

6. hello everybody,

just thought i'd add my two pence'worth. not exactly a school french book but i started with the BBC's 'a vous la france'. as a 9-year old i was bemused by the obsession with panaches, kir royales and Biarritz! once at secondary school we moved on to the illustrious 'arc-en-ciel'. truly living in the 80's. and now i'm starting an attachment where i will teach from metro..i'm thinking of writing my own textbook entitled 'de la couillonnade', full of pointless phrases and grammar points introduced in no logical fashion!

mulliner

7. re: "A Vous la France". Ah yes - I remaimbair eet well!

"Pardon, Mademoiselle. Il y a une pharmacie près d'ici?"

Actually, I really enjoyed using AVLF with my adult evening class. But then I LOVED teaching adults. Wonderful to teach students who hang on your every word......

Those were the days, mon ami...

Mattie

8. oh.."A vous la France"... fabulous!

Mind you, I used "Le CLub" the other day - does Toby Anstis look gay or what????? Did guys really dress like that? (sweatshirt tucked into jeans!!)

9. puuaauufina - The family in Biberswald were a REAL family.

The reason I know this is because my German taecher was the books author (David Shotter).

10. This is a bit of a blast from the past isn't it? Are you bored?

11. salsera

salsera New commenter

I also remember the Longmans Audiovisual French books...

and Whitmarsh.

But what about the the awful Route Nationale! Loads of pictures and nowt much else. A total nightmare.

RN1 was better than RN2 which just seemed to be every horrible topic area put together

12. what about the "extra" resources: Signposts French, In France, In your Own Words, Points Cardinaux, En Direct, Porte Ouverte??????

13. Cours Illustré de Francais - with Monsieur and Madame Lavisse and nikki le singe!

14. I've never heard of htat one!

Rikki le singe?????? Is that the source of Eddie Izzard's routine??

15. I think it must be. There was alot of "Nikki le singe est sous l'arbre".

16. Brian Page, the principal author of A Vous la France, was my French teacher at school. He helped get me through O- and A-Level french. It was a great series. The videos were in constant use in the adult evening classes in the college where I used to teach. But now, as you've probably heard, the BBC unit that used to produce such excellent materials has been closed down. It's all boring Web stuff nowadays.

17. Just thinking back to the 1950s and 1960s...

Whitmarsh was our standard textbook for French when I was at school.

Deutsches Leben (complete with maps showing the pre-WWII German borders) was our standard textbook for German. The second level book was printed in Fraktur (Gothic). Being able to read Fraktur was essential in those days. And, of course, you still see street names in Fraktur in older parts of German towns and lovely old "Sprüche" in Fraktur on the walls of houses in Germany and Austria - just got back from Rüdesheim-am-Rhein, where such Sprüche are in abundance.

I also learned to read Sütterlin handwriting:
    http://www.suetterlinschrift.de/Englisch/Sutterlin.htm

I never thought I would need Sütterlin, but in my first teaching job I used to get letters written in it by the German parents of one of my pupils. I was the only person who could read what they wrote. Other teachers assumed that they were illiterate. They had been taught to read and write during the Nazi period in Germany when Sütterlin was revived. It was also useful when I was working for my PhD. Part of the catalogue in one of the libraries I used in Germany was handwritten in Sütterlin.

At training college in 1964-65 I was introduced to the Harrap-Didier courses, e.g. Deutsch durch die audiovisuelle Methode (which came with audio recordings and film strips), and in my first job the standard textbooks we used were published by Holt-Rinehart-Winston: Ecouter et Parler for French and Verstehen und Sprechen for German. These publications all embodied the audio-lingual approach - which didn't work for me. I switched to Sprich mal Deutsch for teaching German. This course survived for years - and the kids loved to laugh at the illustrations showing women with 1906s hair-do's long after they had gone out of fashion.

Teaching adult beginners, I used Hueber's Deutsch 2000 and Grundkurs Deutsch, Harrap's Deutsch als Fremdsprache, and the BBC's Deutsch Direct (which came with excellent videocassettes).

I taught myself Italian using the BBC's Avventura and Buongiorno Italia. Avventura was based on a fashion house in Italy and the TV series had a plot like a soap opera.

18. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

My first German book in the early 1960s was "Ich lerne Deutsch" which had the reading passages in Fraktur right from the start. I was somewhat disappointed at the time that I wasn't expected to write in Fraktur as well as read it. Fraktur did indeed come in useful at university; I was able to read the leather-bound nineteenth-century editions of works of German literature.

Like GroovyGuzi, a German professor at the University Wisconsin called Don Becker was asked by many "heritage learners" to decipher their grandparents' correspondence written in Sütterlin script. His response was to design a TrueTYpe computer font, which is still available as freeware. A few years ago, I also became interested in the use of computer fonts as a way of familiarising students with target-language handwriting. I had found that many student receiving penpal letters from abroad had problems with the script. I did a small-scale action research project, whose write up is on my website at

http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/mfl/handwriting.pd...

It's possible to obtain French, German and Spanish handwriting fonts. The details are on my website at

http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/accents/schoolfont...

In my research I did find that foreign scripts were sometimes quite hard to read, especially the capital letters in French handwriting. Being able to type a text in Times New Roman then change it to "CrayonL", a pencil-type French handwriting font and back again, demonstrated graphically how what appeared to be an illegible scrawl actually turned out to be a normal piece of writing.

19. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

When we finally got round to clearing out one of the cupboards in my last school ,last year, we discovered a full set of tapes and film strips of the Longman Audio.Visual course.I wonder if thay are worth anything?
    I think I can remember being taught the word `prestidigitateur`in my first year at Secondary school with this course. Was it something to do with a birthday party?I have clear memories of sitting in a darkened classroom hoping I would be the one chosen to advance the film strip ,when the beep came from the tape.I feel so old!!!

20. Marie-France, Claudette; Jean-Paul, M et Mme Marsaud and Bruno le chien...those were the days! I remember going to France for the first time in 1971 as an 12 year old and being amazed to discover that French peoople didn't speak in full sentences - as we'd been taught always to answer. (And also finding it difficult to converse because it seemed that most of what we had learned was in the third person..) Won't say any more because I believe I've already posted all my old textbook memories two years ago in a former incarnation! (and I really should go to the beach and bathe in the Med instead of sitting under the awning of our motorhome tapping into the campsite's unsecured wifi...)