1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Textbook names

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jane80, Feb 22, 2005.

1. I like mco's "ennui" - how about "Barbant"?

2. mco45...desavantage! I LOVE it! Where can I buy this wonderful work? My Year 11 totally-switched-off lot would LOVE it.

Quite like Barbant too. And then we could have Encore Barbant, and Le Plus Barbant, and Extra Barbant!

3. et.. Barbant Electro?????

4. Are these all French books?

*stops as he notices the whole MFL group turn to look at the interloper as one, in silence*

Umm... We had Tricolore. (Full of clumsily drawn male genitalia at my school, if I recall correctly.) In German we had Zickzack. "Kapitel acht. Test A. Beispiel."

*sneaks away again*

AJ

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I love this thread - a fine mix of nostalgia with a good dollop of humour and a soupçon of cynicism thrown in for good measure1

Welcome, AJ, the more the merrier!! In fact, it is good to see some new posters here all round.

My favourite suggestions so far are "Livre" and "Ennui". I was going to suggest "Evasion", which it isn't perhaps so effective as it already has a semi-positive nuance, but maybe the ambiguity could lend to its appeal?

But I love the utter back-to-basics sound of "Livre", and the nihilism of "Ennui".

6. smoothnewt

Apologies to Petite Joueuse - I see you've already suggested "Evasion"! (Have only just put my glasses on!)

7. What about '*****'?! Reckon my yr9 would like that one!!

8. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

Your banter about text book names is funny, but I think it's ridiculous to take pot shots at what you label the target language brigade- teaching a lot in the TL and getting pupils to produce it is a damn sight more stimulating and meaningful to learners and the teacher- I have plenty of pupls who feel confident and happy speaking in the TL would have failed under the stupefying old style of teaching, which only people with true linguistic ability (such as yourself necessarily, and me, as language teachers who've always succeeded in languages)could relate to.
    You're also not quite with the times- Ofsted/teacher training organisations don't expect pure TL teaching any more.

9. how about a 2 volume edition: Les règles and La pratique? Or is that too radical an idea?

10. mco45

mco45 New commenter

Thanks for giving Ennui your vote! I must say I had a brainwave about Livre .. they could make a new one for each year and call them Livre Un, Livre Deux and Livre Trois. Target language or what?! (oh, sorry, not meant to ridicule TL brigade)

11. smoothnewt

whapaboogy - welcome to the forum!

I don't think many posters are totally against target language, it's just that some of us have been around the block and back a few times, and have come to the conclusion that the best case scenario for language teaching is for there to be a balance of target language and explanation in English as necessary, which, as you point out, coincides with the current model that is in vogue, as promoted by Ofsted and the KS3 strategy.

We have only recently emerged from years of being expected to do everything in the tl, and are still
    in the habit of kicking against it, because we know that it is fundamentally flawed as an effective model for successful language teaching.

That is not to say that one should not encourage the children to use maximum target language where possible. Imagine my delight when, in our Ofsted a few months ago, the rather naughty year 11 boys decided they would play the game, and Jay, (in isolation yesterday for calling his maths teacher a "****" - you get the picture), was coming out with:" Excusez-moi, madame, j'ai un problème. Comment dit-on "water-polo en français?" etc etc

This week, my bottom year 9 set were a bit lively as they were settling in at the start of the lesson. I said to them, come on, show me all the French you know! And one of the silliest ones started saying to his neighbour: "Arrête!" and " Retourne-toi!", which quite impressed me.

But to get challenging kids on our side, we can't just go in and spout target language at them the whole time - as we have been expected to until fairly recently. You have to build a relationship with them which involves a bit of banter (certainly in a boys' school) in English. I've said this before: my daughter (yr9) has two native speaker teachers for French and Spanish this year, both of whom are still adhering to the total target language dogma. Consequently she feels all at sea, as she doesn't grasp the point of the lesson and finds it all difficult to follow.

So you must excuse us when we protest - there is a history to it which hasn't quite yet gone away.

12. smoothnewt

ps - sorry for spelling your name wrong whapbapboogy!

13. mco45

mco45 New commenter

Three cheers for smoothnewt!! You said everything I couldn't be bothered to but wished someone else would!

14. Yeah, good one, Smoothnewt - well said!

:)

15. reb80 - I share your recollections of the obsession with La Rochelle in Tricolore. I also seem to recall that just about every French textbook I ever used at school had some sort of yacht on the front cover.

Personal recollections are Au Point, and Droit au But. And as a TA more recently: Spirale!

16. ChilePhilly

ChilePhilly New commenter

Anyone remember Sprich mal Deutsch? "Bist du naß, Hans?" "Natürlich bin ich naß! Ich stehe unter einem Wasserfall!" complete with picture... and Vorwärts, with Hans and Liselotte in the foest? Very dodgy, I thought...

17. roverlei

roverlei New commenter

I teach Encore Tric nouv. ed. at the moment. And yes, La Rochelle is still prominent! I suppose it makes sense for authors to draw on their own in-country experience, and no doubt someone spent an exchange there or has family there and is very fond of the place. I mean, I really like Besançon, even though our friends there live on a zone indus.!

THE German text in Australia is called "Feuerwerk". I love teaching from it, but the author there is obsessed with Bayern! Fortunately, in books 2 and 3 the bias is switched back to the north!

On the German theme, does anyone remember SAG MAL? I spent most of my Year 9 copying boxes from it. And Deutsch Konkret with Rocky?

I'd like to seriously take on the design of textbook front covers myself. I mean, if you're going to photograph a group of students in France, at least make sure they're good looking (shallow, soory!).

18. mco45

mco45 New commenter

I learned my German from Vorwärts! There was Lumpi the dog as well!

19. Anyone remember Whitmarsh and Jukes? Never did me any harm!
    XX

20. ChilePhilly

ChilePhilly New commenter

Please don't mention Whitmarsh, you'll get Londo started...