1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

text types for year 6 SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by devonshire lass, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Hi, this is my first year of year 6 and want to make sure I have all genres covered during revision.

Are these all the non fiction genres I need to cover: Discussion, Explanation, Instructions, Persuasion, Recount, Report(non-chronological & journalistic), argument, diary writing, letter (formal and informal), biography and autobiography. Are there any others I need to cover?

Thanks for all additions!

2. Hi, this is my first year of year 6 and want to make sure I have all genres covered during revision.

Are these all the non fiction genres I need to cover: Discussion, Explanation, Instructions, Persuasion, Recount, Report(non-chronological & journalistic), argument, diary writing, letter (formal and informal), biography and autobiography. Are there any others I need to cover?

Thanks for all additions!

3. I am just planning non fiction revision unit at the moment if you are intereted, taking a long time to plan though! Based on Rick Stein and Padstow!

4. That sounds good, if you don't mind emailing me any ideas you have that would be very useful. Email is: vardyc@hotmail.com

Thanks very much.

5. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Yes, although I would tend to teach some of those as "purposes".

Forms (that I can think of!)
    Argument
    Balanced Argument/Discussion
    Recount
    Information Text (Report/Non Chronological)
    Letter
    Journalistic Writing
    Instructions

Keep persuasion and formal/informal as threads running throughout all of these ... ie they could write a formal letter to persuade, etc.

A couple of years ago, many of ours lost marks because they stuck rigidly to the "non-chronological" report format for the Tongo lizard, whereas the mark scheme wanted an element of persuasion.

6. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

As you might suspect JT I'd love to see the plans.
    Posted an email here to you by mistake and TES kindly removed...emailed it to you instead :)

7. JT any chance of having a browse at your revision plans when you have finished them. I was going to use hamilton trust as a starting point but would love to have a look at yours also.

vicky_123_uk@yahoo.co.uk

8. Julia Teacher - Would really love to see your plans if at all possible. There just seems so much to cover and so little time!!
    liz@paps2.demon.co.uk

9. EBD35 you have mail - will see what you think. Have just a little bit more to do on it but think it will be good fun and opportunities for revision of text types.

10. devonshirelass you have mail

11. senorcalvo

senorcalvo New commenter

12. Hi Julia
    I am also new to Year 6 and would really value a copy of your plans as I haven't a clue where to begin. many thanks.
    jennie.nairn@yahoo.co.uk

13. I agree with earlier comments. Wouldn't mind a look at a different slant

sarahp76@yahoo.com

Thanks xx

14. Sorry to jump on the bandwagon too. Another newbie to Y6 who is flapping like a good 'un at the mo!
    Could I see the plans too please,

bfgmuns@yahoo.co.uk

15. sorry didn't see this was for me - oops
    chck julia free files thread loads of planning on there

16. Hi all,
    I'm in year 6 too. I am trying really hard to get my English levels up too. Has anyone got a good, solid years worth of plans that they wouldn't mind sending to me?
    Thanks in advance
    helen.king@comeuro.co.uk

17. I am redoing my planning so it matches the phases for new framework
    this was after a discussion with a governor who is also a uni teacher trainer
    planning should be done in this way to allow fluidity and ownership