1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Text suitable for teaching Personification - High Ability Year 6

Discussion in 'English' started by Miike2, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Dear all,

I have an NQT observation next week and am teaching Personification to Year 6. Can anyone suggest a really good text I could use to exemplify this?

Any tips or techniques for the lesson (they will need to use personification in their writing at the end of the lesson) would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Dear all,

I have an NQT observation next week and am teaching Personification to Year 6. Can anyone suggest a really good text I could use to exemplify this?

Any tips or techniques for the lesson (they will need to use personification in their writing at the end of the lesson) would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

3. There is a possible pitfall in this one, as the pupils can confuse personification (a figurative idea) with anthropomorphism (where the writer makes objects get up and behave like people). So if I were teaching this lesson, I'd first show them a copy of Thomas the Tank Engine, explain what the author has done to the train, and say that's not what we're dealing with today - and I'd write "Thomas = anthropomorphism" on the board and cross it out.

Then I'd show them various one-sentence examples of personification. There are a few examples and an explanation here. The trouble with showing them an extended or complex example of personification, is that when the pupils try to imitate it, they are at risk of producing another Thomas the Tank Engine.

Other people will give you full schemes of work, no doubt, but I hope this will at least help you to avoid the main pitfall. Good luck.

4. I used The Sea by James Reeves for personification on interview. It was the best and most enjoyable lesson I have ever taught. I had students writing their own and they were terrific. However, this was for year 8.Perhaps it is worth a look. Perhaps Mushrooms by Sylvia Plath. Good luck.

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

"The sea is a hungry dog"

I think this is metaphor rather than personification.

There are lots of great weather poems, such as The Fog and one abotu Jack Frost that are brilliant for personification.

Jack Frost
    By C.E. Pike

Look out! Look out!
    Jack Frost is about!|
    He?s after our fingers and toes;
    And all through the night,
    The gay little sprite
    Is working where nobody knows.

He?ll climb each tree,
    So nimble is he,
    His silvery powder he?ll shake.
    To windows he?ll creep
    And while we?re asleep
    Such wonderful pictures he?ll make.

Across the grass
    He?ll merrily pass,
    And change all its greenness to white.
    Then home he will go
    And laugh ho, ho ho!
    What fun I have had in the night.

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

"The sea is a hungry dog"

I think this is metaphor rather than personification.

There are lots of great weather poems, such as The Fog and one abotu Jack Frost that are brilliant for personification.

Jack Frost
    By C.E. Pike

Look out! Look out!
    Jack Frost is about!|
    He?s after our fingers and toes;
    And all through the night,
    The gay little sprite
    Is working where nobody knows.

He?ll climb each tree,
    So nimble is he,
    His silvery powder he?ll shake.
    To windows he?ll creep