1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

text ideas for year 3 'stories with familiar settings'

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KarrieGem, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT with a Year 3 class and currently planning the literacy unit 'stories with familiar settings'. Just wondering if people would mind sharing the texts they have found to be good for this unit? I have looked at hamilton and other examples of planning which is very helpful but the moment the problem I am having is that I have to start this unit on monday and due to various things such as getting the posiiton quite late etc, I am only planning this now so therefore have not much time to get hold of any texts I need, so wondering what texts people have used, hoping that some of the will be ones I have access to!
    Thanks in advance,
    K x

2. we use 'Voices in the Park' by Anthony Brown for some of the unit as it's a very accessible text for all pupils regardless of reading ability - very helpful at the start of the year when you don't know the children well. We base other reading and our writing around the theme of parks, so for example do some guided reading using 'Mine' (can't remember author off the top of my head - sorry), and might read 'The Hodgeheg' (Dick King Smith) as a class story.But so many texts would be ok. How about Horrid Henry or Dirty Bertie books?

3. I just emailed you!

4. I'm having trouble thinking of texts too. Have been non-teaching for 6 months and would like a few new ideas of texts people have used successfully if anyone can help...thank you.

5. leave your email, I'll forward you some things

6. forestje

forestje New commenter

Get hold of a copy of Letts LiteracyYear 3.It saves me hours of time looking for ideas.

7. I taught this two years ago and used Matilda by R Dahl as it linked to school as a familiar setting. It was nice one to use as we were able to use clips from the dvd about the setting and write descriptions. We also used some clips to look at creating atmosphere. Trunchball and the father were great to describe how they were acting and the tension that was created by their actions/body language. Be careful not show the whole film as it says 'pissant' in the chapetr where her father loses his temper with her.
    Good luck.

8. Hi,
    I too am an NQT doing this unit so would really appreciate if you could email me on that list aswel [​IMG] !
    Thank You!

9. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

I have been recommended 'Posh Watson' by Gillian Cross. It's set in a school. Any kind soul out there with any ideas or resources for Y3 survival, they would be most welcome! Thank you!

resources@jembo.me.uk

10. Can I be forwarded this list too please? :)

Ive got a mized yr 3/4 class for septemeber of very varying ability. Looking at starting with a familiar settings unit so that I can get to know the children a little better. I love the idea of using matilda and a school setting, but unsure of the reading levels of the class.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

11. There seem to be some great ideas here. If anyone could help me out with a list of text ideas, that would be much appreciated as I am embarking on my NQT year with a year 3 class! Does anyone have an idea of how to link this unit to the Tudors??!

Thanks!

12. meghan34984

meghan34984 New commenter

I am also struggling if anyone has ideas and would pass them on to me I would much appreciate it! I have a year 3 class and we are starting familiar settings next term

13. raadiahhabeeb

raadiahhabeeb New commenter