1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Text Chat programs for classroom use

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by markoliver, Sep 10, 2015.

1. <ul class="yj-thread-list--content yj-feed-messages">
    <li class="yj-thread-list-item yj-first-message">

Hey everyone, I have a quick question.

I want to do a communicative activity with my students using text chat (for example facebook messenger, google chat) rather than face-to-face oral communication. However, I don't want to ask students to share their email addresses or facebook with each other (for privacy and child protection purposes).

So the question is this: Is there a program that could let students text chat with each other without using their own emails of facebook? I considered creating dummy emails myself and using them, but I think that would involve a lot of work and may be inconvenent when put into practice.

[/LIST]

2. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

I know I'm going to come across as the naysaying old git in the corner but anyway...

You do need to think through how you* are going to monitor all of these conversations particularly if this can be accessed outside lesson times.

Do not make a rod for your own back with this.

* if it goes t*t* up then it will be your neck on the block