1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Text books for AQA Phil and Ethics (AS)

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by WillowFae, Jun 20, 2012.

1. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Just wondered what text books people are using for AQA Phil and Ethics at AS and would you recommend the ones you have. I am starting teaching this from September and need to spend my left over budget before the end of next week!

2. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Anyone?

3. Hi,
    Well, I bought the recommended AQA Philosophy of Religion textbook by Jordan Lockyer and Tate for peace of mind that I was covering everything that AQA was looking for, but I don't find it particularly user friendly. I tend to use that once students have a grounding in the topic. The other thing with these books (AS and A2) is that they are not organised/proof read very well. There have been a few occasions when the heading hasn't related to the information underneath it!
    The Robert Bowie AQA Ethics book is better, although I prefer the way the previous edition was set out.
    The Libby Ahluwalia book (for Philosophy) is quite useful, as is Michael Wilcockson 'Medical Ethics'.
    I also use Peter Vardy 'The Puzzle of ethics' and 'The Puzzle of God'.
    Hope that helps.

4. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Thanks. Up till now I've been teaching AS Psychology and we've had mixed results with text books. We started with the Nelson Thornes ones which are laid out like the Libby Ahluwalia book and the students didn't find it very accessible with just pages of text. We switched to the Folens ones which break each bit onto a double page spread and is much more visually appealing. These have been more successful.
    I have a copy of the Libby Ahluwalia book, but my past experience with the Psychology books is putting me off it.