1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tests for reading ages

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Danni2, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Danni2

Danni2 New commenter

Hi
    I teach in an SEN secondary and I am after an accessible test (could be multiple choice) that will give me reading ages. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?
    TYIA.

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

When my secondary school last wanted Reading Ages (RAs), which was years ago, the test our special educational needs department deployed was the Suffolk Reading Scale, which is in multiple choice format. It's still available: https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/products/suffolk-reading-scale-srs/.

However, Standardised Scores (SS) have tended to eclipse RAs in terms of acceptability to bodies granting access arrangements. I see that the Suffolk does provide SS as well as RAs. So does the Edinburgh Reading Test (https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/EdinburghReadingTests), which my school has used more recently.

3. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

We use New Group Reading Test (another GL-Assessment), which students complete individually online - good if you need to assess several students at once. It's adaptive (starts with sentence completion, then either passage comprehension for more able, or phonics tasks for less able), which makes it fairly versatile, but can be demotivating for students who are well below age related expectations (who generally find the first task too difficult so give up) and those who are already demotivated find it long and monotonous.
    If you can do one-to-one testing, I find the York Reading Assessment very useful (also GL-Assessment). Works for a wide range of abilities, and at secondary level covers single word reading, fluency, speed, and comprehension.

4. mrmatt73

mrmatt73 Occasional commenter

You've got Access Reading Test (Hodder) as well.

5. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

We are using GL lucid , but have very interested in other Lucid products .
    I am using WRAT. 4 but not overly impressed .
    Anyone else used WRAT 4 ?

And what interventions for Ks3 do you use ?

6. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

We use Lexia for students still struggling with phonics/decoding at secondary; accelerated reader for all KS3; bedrock vocabulary for all years 7 to 10 to boost vocabulary comprehension skills; the 1 to 1 reader leader programme for targeted Year 7s; Inference (something developed by the Leicestershire LEA) for small groups of low reading age students Years 7 to 10; and Read, Write, Inc with small groups of students with high SEN needs as well as low reading ages.

7. palinm

palinm New commenter

Has anyone used Literacy online? Any thoughts?
    Thank you