1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tests and writing in pen

Discussion in 'Primary' started by yellowandwhitecow, May 8, 2011.

1. Just started to panic a little as the guide says that they should have a pen. Can anyone help... do they have to write in pen or is pencil fine?
    Sorry for the silly question.

2. We always write in pencil in the test and never give out pens. Last head said it was because the kids stressed when they couldn't rub it out so we have continued with that. Not sure if we are meant to give out pens though.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL. The other year 6 teacher and I had a debate about this just last week, much to the amusement of the other staff.

I think give each child a pen and a pencil for English and let them use which they like. It matters not a jot. For maths only pencil and they all use just pencil in maths lessons anyway.

Some children prefer pens and some pencils.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We do the English papers in pen and the maths papers in pencils, simply because this is how we work in class. ( We do however have special SATs pens and pencils which are kept just for the test!)

5. Thank you... makes me feel better as I hadn't planned on giving out pens.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

minniminx, I'm beginning to think we must be clones!

7. Oh no... now two people with pens! :) So long as they don't HAVE to use pen it's ok with me. We used them in class for a bit and have poor quality paper in the books so I took them away again so they're used to writing in pencil. Thanks all - my last minute worries are really quite ridiculous.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use pens but that is normal in lessons in KS2.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Read the thread entitles 'good luck' or similar. It will make you feel much better!

CarrieV, if your posts didn't make me realise you don't teach my class (I have 30 all year 6s), I'd have thought you were me as well!

10. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

I mark English and would say that over 90% write in pencil.

11. I'd say it's anywhere between 50/50 and about 70/30 depending on the schools I get to mark.

As long as they don't write in blood and it's legible very little consequence really!