1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Testing reception children on entering school.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mathsteach2, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

I have just read in the Guardian today that 1000's of primary schools in the UK are going to test their new entrants in September, and some parents are opposed. Why do parents try to interfere with schools? All they are doing here is transferring their nonsensical hangups onto their children. A happy 4 year-old might be anxious about their first day, but they could not care less about what they have to do as long as it is fun. If it is not complain then, or look for an alternative.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I couldn't read at 4 so any tests would have been pointless. In many counties, with successful education systems, children don't start school until later, or much later.

[​IMG]

So, well done parents I say!

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

That map is very misleading. Children in England almost always start when they're four, regardless of when they have to start. Children in Sweden do one or two years of kindegarten which is a lot like reception, but with more sense and more playing (also they walk to school on their own at that age).

Rott Weiler and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  4. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

As an armchair anarchist it certainly would not be bothering me. I would be in an intentional community and be home-schooling my children.
    Thank you FrankWollley for the graphic, it is interesting. For myself, being in the world but not part of it, as a state school teacher I totally respected parent's concern for their children but would not have them interfering with what I did in the classroom.
    Why are we so hung-up about testing? It is part of life in this world, we have to get used to it.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Don't Primaries do a baseline assessment anyway? How can you set targets otherwise?

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

According to the article in the Guardian, no reading is involved in the tests. The assessment is purely oral and includes things such as describing pictures.

7. FrankWolley

Exactly. With no SATs for 4 year olds!

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Because they're 4 years old. They're young children, who have been on this earth for less than 60 months.
    Working is part of life in this world, but we no longer send 4 year olds out to work.
    There's no point in 'testing' children of that age anyway - the results cannot be reliable.
    Its only purpose is to have flawed 'evidence' to beat teachers with when the children they teach fail to achieve spurious future targets based on this flawed evidence.

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

No need to.
    We successfully educated our children for years without such things.

smoothnewt and Sally006 like this.
  10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I've always been a bit puzzled about this testing at age 4. If the purpose is to measure future progress, surely it is to the school's advantage if the children do as badly as possible at age 4 so they can show more progress in future. If there is any pressure on the children it is to not answer any of the questions.

needabreak and FrankWolley like this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Of course they need to be tested! They will be 'graduating' soon!

[​IMG]

12. Aquamarina1234

Glad to hear it.
    My GD just finished Reception. Her report was a mixture of "making expected progress" and "exceeding expected progress". What do they base that expectation on?

nomad likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! The Guardian is very late with their news, this has been an ongoing argument for many months now.

Many, many teachers of reception are opposed to this baseline test and unions are against it. There have already been various mailings, petitions, indicative ballots and the like.

Yes all teachers watch their new children and work out where they are at and what they need to learn next. However, this is not the same as 'testing' to an arbitrary set of expectations drawn up by central government and sent off to be judged by someone who doesn't know the children or the context of the school.

14. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

The point is these tests are done whilst children are settling in, will take approx 20 min per child and be computer based. The results will then be black boxed until the children are in year 6. So what exactly is the point when actually the staff could be spending their time with the children much more effectively? By the time children reach year 6 some wise spark will have changed it all again.

smoothnewt and FrankWolley like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

16. FrankWolley

FWIW Our son, when he started school at 4 & a bit, spoke in another language, although he clearly understood English as well. Not sure how the tests would take care of that (esp. when the teacher cheerfully told us she didn't speak a word of his language...No reason why she should, of course!)

By the end of the year he was speaking English, of course. Children at that age are sponges, IMHO.

17. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

The test I believe is conducted in English .

Maybe they will ask children to point to the yacht like they did in a previous incarnation of the baseline.

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I saw a FB post a few days ago where a former teacher colleague posted a picture of her daughter with gown and cap having graduated nursery - she was sooo proud. It's beyond parody.

19. Aquamarina1234

The only alternative is to withdraw your child from the "ceremony". If Nursery decides to do it, then pick another nursery.
    My GD had a little graduation ceremony last August. They put their little caps and gowns on, clutched their little goodbye certificates, stood at the top of the slide whilst they were eulogised, then slid down to general applause. She loved it. It was half of her week from ten months old to four and a half. I don't have a problem with the transition being marked. A disco would hardly be appropriate.

Sally006 likes this.
  20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:rolleyes:
    Thankfully, the only part of that my nursery class had was the goodbye certificate.
    And that possibly only because it was part of whole school prize-giving and speech day! ;)