1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Testing low ability pupils in science

Discussion in 'Science' started by dimple12, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Having just come out of a departmental meeting
    where we dicussed that the end of unit or summative tests we have are
    inappropriate for low ability pupils as they are unable to acess to the
    questions {and learning development/SEN department can not provide us
    with more support} I wanted to ask you all: how do you test pupils at the end of units?

I feel sorry for these so called low ability pupils who genuinely want to do well and have the capacity to do so just our testing of them does not reflect it!
    On one
    hand we must prepare them for the reality of their exams and the styles
    they will face at GCSE etc on the other hand, I argue tests need to be
    differentiated, not just by the levelling of the questions but by the
    manner they are written so pupils can access them. Its not as if low
    ability pupils are dumb. Once you rephrase a Q, pupils demonstrate they
    have the capacity to understand and have the knowledge... At the same time I appreciate the difficulties in divising your own tests tailored to the pupils as the question of how do we level those questions and if the education bodies are providing these low levelled questions which have been used for so many years, than surely they are appropriate for low ability pupils...... what does your school do?

2. Having just come out of a departmental meeting
    where we dicussed that the end of unit or summative tests we have are
    inappropriate for low ability pupils as they are unable to acess to the
    questions {and learning development/SEN department can not provide us
    with more support} I wanted to ask you all: how do you test pupils at the end of units?

I feel sorry for these so called low ability pupils who genuinely want to do well and have the capacity to do so just our testing of them does not reflect it!
    On one
    hand we must prepare them for the reality of their exams and the styles
    they will face at GCSE etc on the other hand, I argue tests need to be
    differentiated, not just by the levelling of the questions but by the
    manner they are written so pupils can access them. Its not as if low
    ability pupils are dumb. Once you rephrase a Q, pupils demonstrate they
    have the capacity to understand and have the knowledge... At the same time I appreciate the difficulties in divising your own tests tailored to the pupils as the question of how do we level those questions and if the education bodies are providing these low levelled questions which have been used for so many years, than surely they are appropriate for low ability pupils...... what does your school do?

3. We use APP, you can get the students to record their ideas or create a poster or just explain what they think. Maybe they can create a blog. Along side this use the traditional question papers, then explain to the students why there is a difference. Use exam questions and practice interpreting them.