1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Testing keystage 1 pupils to identify SEN

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by senteachinginfo, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I'd speak to your staff in the foundation stage. They have to complete very thorough assessments/profiles of their pupils and these will be useful in identifying pupils who are not meeting age related expectations. I believe that day to day assessment and knowledge of the child is better than a one off test anyway, although both have their place. This underscores the importance of staff meeting at transition between key stages in order to discuss pupils and their needs.

2. If a teacher expresses concern about a child in KS1 you can carry out initial assessments yourself:
    • check number of high frequency words he can read/spell
    • check number of initial sounds
    • can he blend/segment cvc/ccvc/cvcc words?
    • check knowledge of digraphs
    • can he rhyme?
    • can he say the alphabet?
    • read with him and analyse the errors.
    • check pencil grip, letter formation
    • counting - forwards/backwards to 10/20
    • ordering numbers
    • 1:1 correspondance
    • 1 more/1 less
    I have the British Picture Vocabulary Scale (BPVS) to assess understanding of receptive language. Armed with all this knowledge you should see where the difficulties are and what you need to address first.
    Hope this helps
    Allison