1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Test, test, test.....

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by twigtwig, Oct 12, 2016.

1. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

I work in a school in the US. The staff here are crazy on testing and quizzing the kids. Every test/quiz/assignment is graded and added to their overall score for the year.

My thinking is that constant testing isn't that valuable and that grading every piece of work stops students from being creative, this stops them from challenging themselves because of the fear of making mistakes.

Is there any research or evidence to back up any of my thinking.

For example, I have got 8 assessments in my students grade books in the first 6 weeks of school ( i think this is too much) but other teachers of the same subject have over 20!

Thanks

2. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

That does seem extremely excessive. I can't think of a piece of research in particular off the top of my head but a lot of the work out there and general teaching is that assessment is formative, constantly assessing their needs through their work and inputs with a little bit of summative assessment at the end of a unit to check their understanding/ what they have remembered. By constantly assessing and grading them in that way all you are doing is teaching them to remember stuff and narrowing their education to a set criteria to pass tests. Whilst I am aware a lot of education has become how to pass a test due to high stakes nature, I would like to think that we still offer a balanced, creative curriculum which testing that often would kill.

3. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

'Weighing the pigs' springs to mind.

You never fatten a pig by constantly weighing it.

krisgreg30 likes this.