1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Test cases

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MayLin, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Listening to the news, it is hard not to believe that teachers like myself, dismissed on capability due to ill health, (being absent for less than a year) were being used as test cases for the governments new proposals to get rid of teachers. I strongly endorse what Christine Blower says but why will the union not help us? I strongly believe that as a dedicated and hard working teacher of 23 years.I have been unfairly dismissed. I am going to try to prove it despite my own Executive Head's dirty tricks.

2. Listening to the news, it is hard not to believe that teachers like myself, dismissed on capability due to ill health, (being absent for less than a year) were being used as test cases for the governments new proposals to get rid of teachers. I strongly endorse what Christine Blower says but why will the union not help us? I strongly believe that as a dedicated and hard working teacher of 23 years.I have been unfairly dismissed. I am going to try to prove it despite my own Executive Head's dirty tricks.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would move on with your life and not waste your time, money and energy in this way.

4. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Daisy... is that the advice you give students who have been victimised or 'abused' by someone who has power over them? Move on and don't waste your time?
    Why is it that as teachers we don't think we deserve the same respect that we try to teach our kids to have for each other? Why should we put up and shut up? We do a really difficult job... one that most of society would run a mile from... and yet we still let management and HR walk all over us again and again... and the unions are worried about if we're putting up displays.
    I would happily put up a display every day of my teaching career and fill in a couple of pointless bits of paperwork if the unions would ensure that Local Authorities followed their own policy and procedures in line with their code of conduct. I'm not asking for special treatment... just that they abide by the rules they set out in the first place.

5. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Good for you Maylin. It may be hard work and demoralising at times but if we all stood up and said 'no' then maybe the unions would get the general idea and join in.

6. Good for you! Be proud of yourself Maylin! It is very hard work and, even if you don't 'succeed', you will always know that you have tried your very best - not just for yourself but also for the rest of your profession and beyond.

7. Thanks for these comments. I was given the opportunity for a CA but I did not believe that I should lose my career and the job that I loved in this way and refused to be gagged. I ended up ill but only because of how I was treated by others. I've learn a few life lessons on the way and I believe that as well as taking away the job which was so important to me, our main source of income and my professional reputation, not to mention how it will have affected my pension, I believe that it is important to let the people who did this to me, know that I am not going to crawl into a hole or run away. I know that it was bullying and harrasment and that the Governors looking at my case were fed misinformation and did not address the real issues. They think that they are a strategic governing body, but all they really are is puppets.Before it happened to me I considered myself open minded and was a little cautious when people talked about 'kangaroo courts'. I know that I have to rebuild my self confidence and move on but this will not happen until I have faced the real issues head on. I do believe that if I can get justice it will help other teachers in a similar situation in the future and will make the perpitrators think twice.

8. Just a word of warning though: Be prepared to battle long and hard, perhaps over many more years. Be prepared also for many ups and downs, especially the downs. Above all, be prepared for the eventuality of your not having 'won'.
    This will be the day, when you will have to know and be convinced that winning is predominantly a matter of mental attitude; that you have in fact won.

9. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I agree with soleil22. It takes forever and you should expect it to get very personal. As it was on the basis of ill health you'll have to see the relevant consultant appointed by both sides and have all your medical records read with the other side seeing the report based on it. Unless you can get your solicitor to guarantee to protect your name, which means the other side isn't named, then newspapers etc can report on it.
    The best revenge is living well. By all means fight the case, but don't let it consume you.

10. I do think that is disgraceful. You should fully go ahead with standing up for yourself against you unfair boss.

11. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I can vouch for the fact that bringing a claim is 'long and hard'. I'm now 4 years down the line and it is very, very hard work. You need a great deal of good quality evidence and to be prepared to do a lot of the 'donkey work' yourself. Then you have frantic periods of manic chaos, where someone decides that something should have been done 'yesterday', puntuated by months in which nothing seems to happen.
    It also does get very 'personal': I have had threats from the legal department of my employer, evidence illegally withheld and all sorts. I have been described as 'dangerous', 'bonkers' and 'paranoid' and they have gone back through my 30 year career, trying to dig up any dirt they could find. (none!) I think I have mentioned before, on another thread, that I know someone personally, who took a case to the High Court, who was made very ill to the point of hospitalisation and several suicide attempts because of bullying. SHe had private investigators overtly lurking outside her house and going through her bins to try to disprove her assertion that she could no longer leave her house.