1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tesser 'Cheats'

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by angiebabe, Mar 22, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'm not always able to cook from recipes as my store cupboard is a bit random and often I only get an idea at tea-time.
    Last night I decided to have steamed/baked salmon with new pototatoes. I then thought I could have leaks in some kind of sauce but what type of sauce could I make? I had a tub of 'cheese sauce granules' some fried the leeks and added some of this 'sauce mixture with boiling water' to the frying pan. It was a bit too thick so I added some milk and then dried parsley, tarragon and black pepper. Delicious - even if I say so myself! In the past I've used creme fresh, or even just milk with a little english mustard.
    Any other suggested 'cheats' from the fab chefs on this 'Cooker Forum'?

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'm not always able to cook from recipes as my store cupboard is a bit random and often I only get an idea at tea-time.
    Last night I decided to have steamed/baked salmon with new pototatoes. I then thought I could have leaks in some kind of sauce but what type of sauce could I make? I had a tub of 'cheese sauce granules' some fried the leeks and added some of this 'sauce mixture with boiling water' to the frying pan. It was a bit too thick so I added some milk and then dried parsley, tarragon and black pepper. Delicious - even if I say so myself! In the past I've used creme fresh, or even just milk with a little english mustard.
    Any other suggested 'cheats' from the fab chefs on this 'Cooker Forum'?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I think Bethannie's Confessions thread has caused most of us to confess.

4. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Sorry Lapin - I was not thinking about fav foods we have a guilty secret about but ways in which to sometimes 'cheat' the way that Delia did ie sauce made from granules and dried herbs etc instead of from scratch etc.

5. Whispers....
    I buy bags of frozen diced onion and sliced mushrooms...very handy when cooking for one, as I often am.
    Also, Betty Crocker's Chocolate Fudge Cake, made with olive oil and milk instead of what's written on the pack, makes a rather nice cake - and is exactly how they make it in Pizza Express ;-)

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Knorr Stock Pots. Not just a money spinner for Marco Pierre White. They are actually quite decent. Not anywhere near as good as homemade but a darn sight better than cubes. A touch salty (like the food in his pub in Highclere; very good but perhaps not for those with high blood pressure - and I love my salt!), so not one for a sauce you'd reduce, but good for soups and stews.

7. I use them too! You are right, they are a bit salty, but ok for soups (I have even used them in a curry!)
    I also have 1001 uses for ketchup...

8. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I use them too! My current favourite, and very economic, soup recipe, is to slowly caramelise a couple of sliced onions in a bit of oil, then simmer in a mixture of Knorr veg stock pots and a heaped teaspoon of Marmite for twenty minutes. Total cost less than £1 and it does me for two lunches.