1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tesco - outrageous - I've been sacked....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ... because I had to take a day off as my very elderly mother was taken to hospital. It seems that, as a worker on a temporary contract, if you take even 1 day off that's it - contract terminated no matter what the reason despite understanding that I could not expect to be paid. If only I knew how to set up some kind of internet blog/forum to publicise this. Am incandescent with rage.

2. Sorry to hear this ss, I've heard it is easier to hire and fire.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

How awful! I hope your mum is okay. Facebook? Leaflets in Tesco carpark? Local paper? x

4. ihatemondays

ihatemondays New commenter

I feel for you... that sucks. Hope you mother feels better. I would start a twitter campaign, or put something on Youtube that expresses your rage - these things often then go viral and would not look good for Tescos. Am no longer going to shop in Tescos.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I can't believe this supplyslave!
    Have a huge cyberhug[​IMG]
    I though the store beginning with a T was supposed to be a 'caring employer'? Obviously not where casual workers are concerned!
    Pop along to the flowers thread and see what's just been delivered. (Give me time to find a nice one though.)

6. I urge you to write to your local MP, they should back you up all the way. The way Tesco have treated you is disgusting, everyone would have done the same as you in your position.

7. OOH massive flowers -thanks Lara. Yet again you come to the fore despite your own problems. Sorry to be picky (just the mood I'm in) but I'm a he not a she. Now remember - he not she, he not she, he not she. - Just joking I will have satisfaction from Tesco - one way or the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Very sorry to hear about your Tesco job. Definitely publicise how rotten they are. Are they one of the "best 100 companies to work for", like Asda is? Probably not.
    I've long said that Tesco are more interested in getting your money than keeping you happy as a customer. I rarely shop there, except for petrol, because my local branch has stopped selling lots of the things I like. They run out of nice wholemeal bread and bananas at like 4pm on a Friday.
    Sainos and Asda here I come!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I do hope that your mother is now getting along nicely. Having you with her would have been good for her, I know.
    I am flabbergasted that they choose to treat their staff like that.
    However, a quick Google shows the following criticisms in general of Tesco's policies on absence:
    The policy for permanent staff is this, bearing in mind that you get no sick pay for the first 3 days of an absence:
    "When an employee is absent, on their return their absence percentage over the previous 6 months is calculated. If the have been absent for more than 3% of their contracted hours or have been off three times or more they will be invited to an investigatory meeting. At the meeting they will be questioned about the reasons for absence, and if there are no mitigating circumstances, this meeting will move to a disciplinary meeting where they may receive a warning. The employee may also be offered support if they have a serious problem and this may result in a change of shifts or role for example.
    The result of this policy is that those employees tempted to `chuck a sickie` either think twice or eventually get managed out of the business.
    Poor attendance is the number one reason for dismissal at Tesco. This policy would be simple and effective for a small business to use and the benefits for a small business are greater as absenteeism in a small business is much more damaging. "
    Here is a view on this:
    Tesco's absence policy, where staff receive no pay for the first three days of absence, has been criticised outside the organisation. If the policy seems harsh, Procter says the company's 'Supporting Your Attendance' return to work practices are in line with government thinking.
    "We have to support managers to be able to support the staff who are absent," she says. "And we ensure that proper support is given to employees as they return back into the business and any adjustments that need to be made can be."
    Since you weren't ill yourself, but supporting a sick relative, I wonder if you can appeal? Appeal first to the store manager, and then go to the Citizens' Adsvice Bureau to see what they say.
    If you have a Home insurance policy, it often includes as a free extra, legal support for any dispute with an employer. Dig it out and have a look. If so, you might be able to get legal help over this.
    Best wishes, and to your Mum too.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

10. Basso_Profundo

Basso_Profundo New commenter

supply slave has my deepest sympathy - it seems Tesco's behaviour here is just plain nasty.
    In the present climate, and under the current regime in Whitehall, all I can think to say is:
    Welcome to the Big Society.
    Basso

11. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Really sorry to hear that Supply Slave[​IMG]. Hope your Mum is getting better. Have a look on the flower thread (but not yet, I'm not that fast!) x

12. Just to check I have just telephoned Asda who are much more relaxed about the matter - their basic attitude was hey s//t happens - don't worry about it see you tomorrow. Guess who will getting my business in the future even though it means driving 8 miles out of my way. Now gone from incandescent to very brightly angry.

13. Supply slave,
    I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. I've been following your story and I actually got quite upset reading your post. To be treated in such an apalling way...
    I really do hope that the support you recieve here helps.
    Best wishes to both you and your mum
    S4mm13

14. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Shame on them, they don't deserve to have you as an employee. Don't dwell on it, it's their loss and you're probably better off without their job if they treat their employees like this.

15. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Like the other posters I'm apalled by this disgusting treatment from Tesco. I can only agree with some of the suggestions others have made in that you contact your local rag about this. It would make a great story for them, create poor publicity for Tesco and some satisfaction for yourself (I know revenge isn't clever but in this case an exception can be made[​IMG]).
    Your local MP might be another option to follow as well.
    Hope all goes well.

16. Have been in contact with store manager to complain/appeal then - if I get what I want - I can tell them to stuff the job where the sun struggles to shine. It's a matter of satisfaction now as I would never go back. Oh and I will also publish this story to whoever wishes to hear about this Tesco disgraceful policy

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just make sure that your financial situation allows you to do this. You'll want to have a bit of cash in hand to treat your Mum to something nice when she comes out of hospital. Her appetite may need to be tempted by a treat or two, and you may need Tesco's money to pay for this.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

18. Can't believe they fired you for having to take a day off! What if you'd rung up sick, would they have still fired you? It's just stupid.

Wishing your Mum a speedy recovery.

19. [​IMG]
    Another reason not to shop there.
    Hope your mum's ok.

20. I worked for Tesco for 8 years part time- this is their 'normal' policy-driven behaviour. Unusually, the management, or whoever the management are sleeping with, seem to have a different set of policies to adhere to. Funny that.