1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tesco Lack Of Support For Local School

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dolly3900, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi y'all,
    Thought I would share this with you.
    Our local tesco store is about 500m up the road from our Secondary school and over the years has been provided with various advertising, marketing and careers opertunities from us, with a good proportion of the younger staff there being ex-pupils of ours, including some of their department managers.
    Went in today to grab a few bits (against my better judgement) and saw that they have started their vouchers for schools and clubs promotion again, with a large collection pot at the front of the store for you to put in your vouchers you do not want but have not school or club to give them too.
    A grand idea I hear you call, but instead of collecting for our school (like i said, 500m away), they are collecting for the secondary school in the next large town across, which is not only a good few mile away, but in a different county.
    They pride themselves on their community links, but do this? I am bemused.
    Oh, By the way, the local store in question also, whilst we had the bitterly cold period a few weeks ago, banished the RNLI charity collection to the outside of the store, not even the foyer, to collect in the northerly wind and rain,as "corporate policy" no longer allowed them to host charity collections in store.
    Rant Over.

2. Hi y'all,
    Thought I would share this with you.
    Our local tesco store is about 500m up the road from our Secondary school and over the years has been provided with various advertising, marketing and careers opertunities from us, with a good proportion of the younger staff there being ex-pupils of ours, including some of their department managers.
    Went in today to grab a few bits (against my better judgement) and saw that they have started their vouchers for schools and clubs promotion again, with a large collection pot at the front of the store for you to put in your vouchers you do not want but have not school or club to give them too.
    A grand idea I hear you call, but instead of collecting for our school (like i said, 500m away), they are collecting for the secondary school in the next large town across, which is not only a good few mile away, but in a different county.
    They pride themselves on their community links, but do this? I am bemused.
    Oh, By the way, the local store in question also, whilst we had the bitterly cold period a few weeks ago, banished the RNLI charity collection to the outside of the store, not even the foyer, to collect in the northerly wind and rain,as "corporate policy" no longer allowed them to host charity collections in store.
    Rant Over.

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Contact the local paper. They ( Tesco ) won't like bad publicity

4. One step ahead of you there :)

5. landaise

Great, anything that shows Tesco in a bad light is fine by me, foul over-priced place !

6. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Yet they employ a massive amount of people.

7. landaise

So does the Armed Forces and the Police, but they're facing the chop. Tesco may have to cut staff, too if they can't rake in as many millions.
    They've also CAUSED a lot of unemployment by driving away their competitors, don't forget.

8. I'll bet you'll find that Dorothy from account's son goes to the school that is benefitting from the vouchers collection.

9. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Chortle [​IMG]

10. landaise

Seconded !

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

They could remove that box and give those vouchers to nobody. If customers don't care about vouchers, they could save themselves money and bin them. Better that somebody benefits

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm not one to defend Tesco, but perhaps it's simply the case that some quick-thinking, enterprising soul from the school further away has been in touch with Tesco and suggested this idea. Perhaps no-one from your school had the clever idea and Tesco just responded to the idea from the other school, rather than going, "Oh good suggestion, we'll ring up our local school and see if they want to take us up on that".
    Perhaps if someone from your school was to get in touch, it could be arranged to divide the vouchers equally between the schools.
    After all, although they may be your local Tesco, they are actually a massive business that don't actually give a stuff about the local community (not at the highest level anyway).

13. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

what a pathetic petty-minded attitude

on the part of the OP

Tesco are supporting a school, and have supported the local school in many ways

Perhaps (as has already been stated) someone at the other school contacted them first.
    Perhaps they feel that, as there are llikely to be many people using the store who will support the local school anyway, they decided to extend the hand of charity to a school which is lacking a local Tesco

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

'Lacking a local Tesco'?!!!!!
    Let me know where this place is - I want to move there!
    Tesco are everywhere. They have hounded out all opposition in the place I live, and had the local bus service rerouted to force the people to travel into town via the 'big' Tesco.

15. Isle of Skye doesn't have one... alternatively and distinctly less exotically - Sunderland still only has the tiny express one in the middle of the town centre (but I don't think you'd want to live there).

Other school got in first - simple... don't like the sense of utter entitlement going on in the OP. I mean, what if a primary school had got in and ganked "your" vouchers?!

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

So?

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Maybe not - but I used to! I was in Sunderland for almost 2 years.

18. Eva and Doom ... spot on

The OP's school missed the boat ... live with it

Unless, of course the shop is well pee'd off by the kids from the local school being pains in the a$$ avery lunchtime and after school

19. Oh, OP, I can understand your bewilderment...
    but like others, I am inclined to think that the other school put in more of an effort. They can't support every school.
    And also, what RF has just said - about local kids. Maybe?
    I think if you want active support, then you need to be active.
    Not reactive.
    You have missed the boat with Tesco.
    Why not write to Sainsburys, Waitrose, Asda or Morrisons, or whatever is local and ask your local branch to sponser you for x return?
    Can you imagine, though, how many schools or other charities ask for support?
    There is only so far a supermarket can spread donations.
    And anyway - when I were a lass - we did it the other way round. WE did the donating as a school!

20. For information, there are 3 boxes to collect.
    1 for THE single immediate, local primary school, not for the other 5 or 6 within about 8 miles.
    1 for a local sports club which they have a sponsorship deal with and already support.
    1 for the other secondary school.
    So this indicates a decision was made rather than an aproach.
    Secondly, last year I persoally aproached them to ask if they would be prepared to put a box to collect all unwanted vouchers in aid of our school as someone here just commentedupon, a lot would just go to waste otherwise, but was told they could not as it was against company policy to favour one organisation.
    As for pupils from the school, not defending them all as there we do have our fair share of little bu99ers, but they tend to go to the local Spar shop across the road rather than walk the toscos.
    I would have thought that a fairer option (if they had any interest in fairness) would be to collect them en-masse, then distribute them evenly to all of the qualifying schools and clubs in the relevant area, this way, everyone benefits, even them as they are seen to be helping everyone.
    Oh well, never mind.