1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tesco Clubcard coupons

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by dozymare1957, Sep 1, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

The only thing that Postie brought me this morning was some Tesco "exclusive" coupons. Some were money off and some for extra clubcard points.
    Did anyone else get any? How useful are yours?
    I got vouchers for these:
    Uncle Ben's Chilli Sauce - I don't get this any more (thank you CQ)
    Chicago Town frozen pizza - I don't get this any more - will eventually make my own (thank you Si)
    Uncle Ben's Express Rice or Risotto - I don't get the rice any more as I have an electric rice cooker (thank you Lapin). I bought the risotton once and nobody would eat it (not even me) it was disgusting
    Cadbury's sharing bags -Erm - yes I'll get these for the boys
    Pre packed Chicken Kievs - food of the devil although my menfolk love them. Will soon make by own (thank you EG)
    Yorkshire Tea - best tea in the world so I will use this.
    Philadelphia - Yes. This gets eaten a lot but now I also have a recipe for Kaesesuppe (thank you CQ)
    Sliced bread - my lot practically live on sandwiches so yes I'll use this
    Kenco Millicano - yes best coffee in the world although I've just bought 4 packs because it was on special offer.
    Big and Fresh Eggs - I've been using Tesco value eggs recently and even with 40p off I don't think it's worth getting these.
    Dried herbs - yes, I'll use this
    Finest ready meal - No, I don't even go up that aisle any more and yet I used to spend most of my money there.

A few months ago I would have used all of these except the dried herbs. Thank you everyone who has changed my life, especially CQ who invited/persuaded a very reluctant cook to change the way she eats, shops and lives

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Slap!!!
    Tesco value eggs = unhappy chickens kept in battery cages. Please do not support this cruel method of farming.
    Buy free range Dozy. Not only are you promoting better hen welfare but they do taste so much better. If cost is an issue, but smaller eggs. They will be more expensive but they are so much better in all ways.

3. dozymare1957

Really, Belle? I thought Tesco produced everything ethically.
    Next time I boil myself a couple of value eggs I'll feel suitable guilty about the poor hens [​IMG] When these ones are used up, I'll buy free range.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Maybe it'll take a little longer for Tesco to notice your new buying habits, DM. We generally get coupons we'll use.

5. BelleDuJour

No. They (and most large supermarkets) most definitely are not ethical! It's not easy to shop ethically and it can be pricey, but I'd rather eat less meat that is humanely produced. As for eggs.....I keep my own hens but when they go off lay (usually Dec - Jan) I only buy free range. I'm not a huge fan of organic as I really don't think it tastes very different. I grow some of my own veg and that does taste different. Also scientific experiements ahve shown organic to be not better nutritionally and sometimes not as good as non-organic.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

agreed. and it think it tastes better too.

7. dozymare1957

This has developed into a really interesting discussion on organic and free range products and is really informative.
    Is it possible to change the name of the thread so that others can pick up on it? Somehow we'd need to show that it had started off about Tesco vouchers and developed into organic/free range.
    I suppose really that I could buy the better quality meat but just buy less. There is an independant butcher about ten miles from me but Tesco is soooooooooo convenient. I don't think I love cooking enough yet to want to go looking for food in different shops, let alone different towns! Maybe next year.

8. BelleDuJour

Excellent post nick.
    This afternoon I picked chard from the veggie patch and it was made into a gratin within the hour. Runner beans too. Picked, sliced and blanched in moments. Sadly not everyone has access to veg this fresh, but farm shops and farmers markets are the next best thing, as are veggie boxes so beloved of many on here.