1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Review Policy - Email

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by z1k, Apr 15, 2016.

1. z1k

z1k New commenter

Hi all,

Recently I wrote to the TES Shop Help team about how they go about reviewing and recommending resources uploaded by teachers and here is what they said in an email received yesterday:

"Our Resources Team look at resources around 2 times per week. Our panel team work hard to find, review and rate resources on the site with genuine comments and praise.

For this reason, we cannot accept specific resource submissions for review. Please be assured that all uploads to the site will be considered for review."

NOTE: I did not ask them to consider a particular resource, think they just threw that in for clarification.

They also responded to my pricing query, though I found out on these forums before they could get back to me! Either way, they had this to say about it:

"In regards to pricing, we have implemented a £2 minimum to ensure teachers get a fair price for their best work and, to ensure that every teacher who sells a resource earns at least £1 in their balance after VAT and transaction fees."

Hope this is helpful to someone!

2. betsybelleteach

betsybelleteach New commenter

Thanks for sharing.
    It is interesting to hear their rationale.

PollyPuddleduck and mathsmutt like this.
  3. z1k

z1k New commenter

It certainly is - not least because the one resource of mine they've recommended has had the most views, though this hasn't (yet) translated into sales!

Reviews seem to play a big part in whether someone purchases a resource or not..

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I really hate the idea that the TES team look at my work and review and rate it - or any adults really. I wrote my poems for children and have had immediate feedback from children on every one of them, and they go into 188 countries of the world where I often meet children who tell me how much they enjoy them and find them useful. I never put my work forward for adults to judge it in competitions. Just a word from teachers to say that their children enjoyed the hard work I've done would be my thanks. I've said this before, I know, ha ha

5. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I like the idea that they look at it, although it does seem to take a long time before some are made visible when first uploaded (which I assume is due to them being checked over?).

6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Several of my resources have been recommended by the TES as being "relevant to the new curriculum", but the symbol doesn't appear in my shop.

7. thinkypublishing

There's a symbol?

Most of my latest resources are explicitly based on the curriculum but I've not seen or heard of a symbol.

On *** you can check off the relevant Common Core stuff (but it's quite tedious to do).

8. JaquesJaquesLiverot

9. thinkypublishing

I see - a symbol for resources that have been recommended - sorry I got mixed up - I'd thought maybe there was a symbol for resources related to the curriculum and I'd missed it :confused::)

10. z1k

z1k New commenter

It's good to know that the TES team do review our resources, although it seems rather difficult to get more than one review! Apparently authors with three or more TES-recommended resources are invited to create a blog, which I imagine is good for driving sales...one of these days I'll have to get round to creating my own! Slowly does it..or poco a poco as they say here in Spain...:)

11. JaquesJaquesLiverot

I've had four reviews/recommendations, but that might be because Computing was a new subject and there was a lack of resources. No-one contacted me about a blog, either, but maybe that's because I'd already volunteered to do the Subject Genius thing.

Charleei likes this.
  12. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    z1k likes this.
  13. z1k

z1k New commenter

That's good to hear that you have more than one resource reviewed! It's amazing how heartening it felt to get it..must be what kids feel like when we give them praise :)

14. z1k

z1k New commenter

Hi,

Quick question with regards to the Subject Genius - has it been interesting/worthwhile?

15. JaquesJaquesLiverot

I've quite enjoyed it, and I haven't struggled for ideas so far (although I have struggled for time in the past couple of months). The feedback has generally been very positive (I've posted links in the Community and in Facebook groups for Computing), and some people have seemed genuinely interested, but my subject is Computing, which is generally taught by people from non-Computing backgrounds.

Apparently viewing figures are commercially sensitive, so I can't find out how many people read them, but the reaction on Twitter suggests that someone must be reading them. I've only had a couple of people disagreeing with one of my posts (the one on whether technology leads to under-achievement), but one was a very specific disability-related issue unrelated to the general point and the other one went quiet when asked for evidence to support the contrary point-of-view.

I'm not sure what "worthwhile" would mean in this context - none of the articles links to resources, so I can't tell you whether it would have an impact on sales.

Why not give it a go? The other Computing Subject Genius hasn't posted since September, so they obviously don't enforce any deadlines, and there weren't any terms to agree to. In fact, I only just expressed an interest in doing it, asking for extra details, and the reply was pretty-much, "Here's your password, off you go..."

z1k likes this.
  16. z1k

z1k New commenter

Thanks for that - got in touch, they replied and as you suggest, it seems to be a case of just going for it - sounds pretty hands-off. Which suits me!

Enjoy the weekend :)