1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

TES Resources

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by parkert, Nov 7, 2016.

1. parkert

parkert New commenter

Sorry but I have to have a moan. I've always shared my resources free of charge on TES. I find it astounding that not everyone does. I found some resources for the new German GCSE but he/she wants £2.00 for them. To be honest, who is ever going to but something you can't check first. Secondly - where is people's moral compass? We are all in this together so why not share for free? I'd love to know if anyone actually pays for resources on TES.

Sorry about that but just frustrated at planning Y10 Edexcel GCSE German Module 4 onwards in the dark with only the Higher book available and with no listenings available!!!

Lara mfl 05, pascuam49 and catmother like this.
  2. taradh

taradh New commenter

I completely agree with you. I would rather make resources myself or do without than pay for them on here. I have also shared my resources for free and wouldn't dream of charging for them. What is wrong with people? Sheer greed.

Lara mfl 05, pascuam49 and parkert like this.
  3. parkert

parkert New commenter

Cheers taradh

4. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

Ditto, Parkert.
    On top of everything, I don't know about you but I find it really time-consuming to search for new free resources. We used to be notified when new resources in our area were published but not any more, and the pay-for always feature at the top... Such a shame.

parkert likes this.
  5. parkert

parkert New commenter

well said pascuam49

pascuam49 likes this.
  6. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Some people, like me, teach part time, and choose to supplement their income by creating pay-for resources. I offer thousands for free via my website, but choose to charge for those resources which have taken me weeks or maybe months to create. I have chosen not to use TES but instead have my online shop on Sellfy.com. I have heard this complaint about TES resources a lot over recent weeks. It really would help if you could try before you buy and see a preview first, and it would help too if the search was fairer and had the things that best fitted your search at the top.

I think that TES needs to consider showing previews of pay-for resources, as well as being a lot more stringent about accuracy and copyright. I have heard many people say that they have paid for a resource only to find that it is riddled with errors and/or a blatant infringement of copyright, displaying copies of pages from text books or screen captures of websites.

tchristin, pascuam49 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. parkert

parkert New commenter

Good point made Geekie. I agree.

Lara mfl 05 and catmother like this.
  8. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Your free resources are wonderful, Geekie and we are all grateful for them and have done so since the day of "Sunderland" which,I think was the first resources site I became aware of.

As for the resources sold on here, I would never buy any as I like to see what I'm buying before I buy, especially when some of them are asking for a relatively high price. However, when I've looked at some of the previews, I have noticed what you have just mentioned.
    I think that when paid for resources was launched, this was discussed on Opinion/Personal and a lot of concerns were raised by posters who seemed to know more about such things (copyright and so on) than I do. I'm not certain those concerns were fully addressed by TES but what do I know?

pascuam49 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

It's very difficult! I think that I have found a way but it certainly takes longer than it used to!

pascuam49 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. spellmaster

spellmaster New commenter

What I've realised over the years is that no matter how you provide resources, people will find something to moan about .
    If you charge - people complain; if you give them away free - people complain; if you give them away and have adverts - people complain. I'm sure if I paid people to use them there'd still be whinging. In almost 20 years of providing free resources on-line I've heard it all.

I don't charge because it is just a bit of nerdy hobby for me. I do wish people would realise though , as @Geekie has said, that people do put a lot of time and effort into creating their resources So if they want to charge, then I think that's fair enough , but I do agree that some form of free sample would be useful.

I would have to say that, looking at the stats on the TES , I do not believe that anyone is making a fortune

tchristin and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Yes it is fair enough and the customer can buy or not buy. However,I have seen previews that have pages that are clearly taken from textbooks. That is,I assume breaking copyright laws.

12. spellmaster

Yes, if you see work that clearly infringes copyright , report it. There's a link on each resource page.

tchristin likes this.
  13. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I never charge for mine (I have only uploaded a few anyway) but I do worry about copyright - mostly for images I have just found on line.

I haven't really paid for any but I suppose I might if it was for something I would find really hard or impossible to do for myself. I only work part-time now so time is no longer at the premium it was.

14. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

On preview for resources that I'm not considering buying? On the list of stuff I could not care less,it's rating pretty low.
    My point is that I'm amazed that TES is not checking the stuff they are encouraging people to sell. To me, it sounds as if TES has the idea but they do not have the skills to check what is going on.

pascuam49 likes this.
  15. spellmaster

@kittylion If you worried about image copyright, use the Google image search.
    Do a standard image search then
    Click on the Search Tools button and then Usage Rights.
    Choose Labelled for re-use from the drop down list.

It is rare that you won't find a copyright free image
    Most are from Wikipedia Commons and similar sources

Example

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    tchristin likes this.
  16. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

I think the moan here should not be about contributors, users or free vs pay-for, it's about how TES Resources is managing the site. Instead of improving it they have actually made it worse. I was happy enough with a list of resources when I typed in a key word and used a couple of filters. Now we have pages and pages of huge pictures and have to keep clicking forever to get to where we want. I am not sure they even listened to feedback from paid authors on this last revamp. I feel they are putting lots of people off from using the site whether to share or to find resources. Even this forum is getting less and less participation. I still think it is a shame and we are all losing out :(

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  17. tchristin

tchristin New commenter

"Where is people's moral compass? We are all in this together so why not share for free?"

WOW. Quite a statement. I do sell some of my resources and I'd like to tell you why.

I am from Spain, I've been a TA in the past and my dream would be to do a PGCE in MFL to become a fully qualified teacher in the UK but unfortunately I don´t have the money for this. It is quite a lot of money and I know that selling my resources won´t help massively but as they say every little helps.

I also share some of my resources for free and if you check my free resources you'll see that it takes some time to create things like this. I've seen how busy most teachers are and I like to think that it will save some time to someone who can then have a break.

In an ideal work all types of education would be free but let’s get real for a minute. Do you get a salary for your lessons? Why? Charging for someone’s work is neither a crime nor something immoral.

The resources you need cost £2.00 and you don´t want to pay for it because you don't think people should charge? Easy solution then. Create your own and share them for free.

18. vuvuzela

vuvuzela New commenter

krisgreg30 and tchristin like this.
  19. tchristin

tchristin New commenter

:eek:How intense! Thank you so much for the link. It was really interesting reading everyone's point of view.