1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Resources

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Maths_Shed, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

I've recently started uploading some resources to the site and I'm immediately reminded why I stopped using the resources section pretty much as soon as I started teaching ten years ago. Back then I found so much time was taken up looking through the resources for something suitable and often failing to find it I decided my time would be better creating the resources myself so I stopped looking at the resources ten years ago and hadn't looked in until I started uploading a couple of weeks back.

Now I'm trying to upload I am encountering numerous problems.

<ol>
    [*]I can't upload zipped folders so I'm not going to upload a job lot of resources e.g. a full set of Tarsia puzzles organised by topic as available here
    [*]I can't tag the resources adequately meaning no-one will be able to search adequately. When uploading files that cover number, algebra, shape and data I have to allocate to one of them rather than having an 'other' option (GCSE fail)
    </ol>

Unless I am being utterly stupid and failing to find the obvious, when I try to search the same old problems arise,

<ol>
    [*]I can't search by the person uploading
    [*]I can't search by topic particularly well
    [*]I can't search by rating or by the number of downloads
    </ol>

A rating search function is only worthwhile if a rating/feedback is given and so many resources are completely devoid of any. That said there is no point in awarding ratings or feedback if it can't then be utilised in a search. I have tried to search the forums and the resources section for a suitable place to raise this and it doesn't seem to have one so hopefully someone with some input in the resources section will see this.

Again I am faced with a mass of resources, most of which I wouldn't use and the website makes finding something so difficult that I just wouldn't bother, and then I ask myself why bother uploading any resources here because of this?

Funding is going to be increasingly tight and it is more important that we use the (good) resources we have yet week after week I see departments with little or no organisation to their resources (I'm on supply). So often there are so many resources so badly organised that it's impossible to know what you've got, good or bad and the TES resources section is, to me, on online version of that. I have a basic file structure for organising but can't upload to TES resources!

Fortunately being on supply allows me to take a break in term time so I'll leave my thoughts for a couple of weeks. In the meantime hopefully someone with control over this side of the website will have a read but I'm thoroughly frustrated after a very limited interaction.

2. MisterW

MisterW New commenter

Hear hear.

3. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

4. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

Also, I think if you go onto a person's profile and scroll down, it shows some of their resources. If you click 'view more resources', I think it shows you all of their stuff?

5. I don't use it much any more either (I have a separate account for resources). But I have found that Google is a better search engine to use for TES resources than the TES resources section itself...

Yes, you certainly used to be able to see someone's other resources (I haven't been on since the whole £££ update so can't say whether or not that's still the case).

6. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

Hi Maths_Shed,

Thank you for your comments.

Sorry that you are experiencing problems with uploading resources.

I have passed on your feedback to the Resources Team, and your queries to the Customer Services Team.

A member of the Customer Services Team will contact you in due course to help you with uploading resources.

In the meantime, if you have any further issues please do not hesitate to contact Customer Services at help@tes.co.uk.

7. Magda_TES

Magda_TES Guest

Hello Maths_Shed

It sounds like you've had a tough time trying to get your files onto the site - I'm really sorry to hear that. I've looked at your files on your site and can see they are well organised into topic folders that I would love to see shared with teachers on the Resources platform.

Would you be prepared to have a conversation on the phone so that I can understand more about your experience and hopefully help to make life simpler - for you and everybody else using the maths section as well as the overall Resources area.

You can email me, magda.wood@tesglobal.com

Many thanks,

Magda Wood

Head of Content and Strategy, TES Resources

8. Magda_TES

Magda_TES Guest

Have you seen the Mathematics page?

www.tes.co.uk/.../mathematics

It displays all the maths topics we have as categories right now, plus there are quick links into search results lists.

If you get a chance to look at it, do let me know if it's helpful, or not...

9. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

Hi Magda - could you clarify what 'relevance' means as a filter? I would have thought it would put resources with the most views/downloads and highest ratings at the top? But at the moment the resources it comes up with seem very random, some with very few views/reviews and some with loads?

10. Magda_TES

Magda_TES Guest

Hi Owen134866,

In search, 'relevance' orders your results based on the keywords you use in your search terms. It picks out the keywords in the titles and descriptions of resources pages and selects the order based on this as the priority. This is why you won't always see the most popular or highest listed out first.

Search does take account of the extra weight that a resource carries based on its performance - as you describe - but it will lead by looking for your keywords in titles and descriptions first.

I am seeking further technical detail on the mechanics of the algorithm and will post it once I have it :0)

I totally understand your point and appreciate that it would be helpful to sort your keyword search based on high ratings and recommendations. This is something we want to respond to and will certainly take it on as feedback to respond to with updates.

Our team is always looking for ways to make sure search works for people, so please do let me know if you have any further feedback.

I'll be back with more soon!

Magda