1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Resources Marketing

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Lead_Practitioner, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Lead_Practitioner

Lead_Practitioner New commenter

Hi, this is a message to the Tes Resources staff.

I've seen both ****** and TeachIt are now offering totally free access to all their resources for one month, and *** are providing a site-wide sale as a 'good will' gesture to teachers/parents/students at this difficult time but it's also quite a cynical marketing opportunity (let's be honest). Besides promoting free Coronavirus resources that no one makes money out of, what exactly are/will Tes Resources be doing to compete with these rivals in the next few months?

Thanks in advance.

LivelyLearning likes this.
  2. Lead_Practitioner

Sorry, I mean 'those other sites'.

3. Lead_Practitioner

4. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

@tesAuthorTeam

I'm disappointed Tes have made no real effort to support their authors in these difficult times. Sure, our status is "frozen" until Jan 2021, but then what? After potentially 5 months of poor sales (school closures & summer hols), a lot of us are gonna be struggling to keep our Gold/Silver status when the rolling revenue kicks back in.

No site wide sales. No vouchers for teachers/parents. Nothing. Why the hell not? It's just good business (not to mention good ethically) and would do wonders for their reputation and market reach and help out the authors that they would be nothing without.

How many parents would have heard of Twin kl? Not many, I suspect. Now millions of parents will have thanks to schools sending links or resources from them. Their reputation boosted by giving temporary free access and at the front of people's minds when this is all over. How many parents have heard of Tes?

No teachers are gonna be buying resources when there is so much out there for free atm. Sales were declining anyway and I dunno if Tes's authors will ever recover from this. Troubling times for us authors.

5. vcurrie19

vcurrie19 New commenter

6. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

Yep - I think Tes really needs to do something - seriously all over social media its Binkl this, Binkl that. Come on Tes, a site wide sale at least!

7. Lead_Practitioner

It's been one week since the UK schools closed and we haven't heard anything from TES Resources. I think all the authors here deserve to know what is being planned to help us promote resources in this incredibly difficult time.

mrajlong, EC_Resources and vcurrie19 like this.
  8. Lead_Practitioner

9. Lead_Practitioner

penyrheol1, vcurrie19 and mrajlong like this.
  10. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

It would seem that all the many requests for Tes to hold a sale right now appears to be falling on deaf ears. I have been selling resources on Tes from day one. Way back then funded sales by Tes were a regular event. Sadly not any more. I can't even remember when the last sale was... I really am sad and disillusion with Tes right now for not supporting us the authors and also those who buy our resources, during this difficult and uncertain time that we are experiencing at the moment. Sorry to have to say it, but shame on you Tes. ☹️

penyrheol1 and Lead_Practitioner like this.
  11. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

I don't know if anyone else is finding this but I have never had so many British purchasing from my American store. Not just lessons but games. I think a lot of parents are buying educational games to play with their children while on lock-down.

Lead_Practitioner likes this.
  12. Lead_Practitioner

Doesn't look like any of us are going to get a response. Fantastic engagement with authors here.

penyrheol1 likes this.
  13. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Hi authors,

A number of you have asked whether we are in a position to have a sale or extend other financial help during the pandemic crisis. We have given this careful consideration alongside other efforts we are making to support schools and teachers.

We are currently promoting a range of free content through the Tes Coronavirus Support Hub and a Home learning hub to ensure that all teachers have equal access to helpful resources. For this reason, we do not feel that it is appropriate for Tes to explicitly promote paid content with a sale at this time.

We have agreed to suspend any downgrading of author tiers before the end of the year but we are unfortunately unable to go further with other initiatives at this time. If this changes we will let you know immediately.

There is a growing appetite for home learning materials, whether free or paid, and we will be writing a series of resource highlight blogs focusing on home learning over the coming weeks. We will include paid resources in these, monitor the demand for such resources and adapt our approach as needed.

If you wish to feature in our free Tes Coronavirus Support Hub for promotional purposes, simply create a free resource (this could be a sample or taster version of premium content) and add the terms ‘coronavirus’ in the title or description - this resource will then appear in the hub and you can link to your shop and/or to your full paid content from here.

With kind regards,

Tes Author Team

14. Lead_Practitioner

I think I'll have a lot of authors get behind me when I say this is a pretty disappointing response, TES.

15. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Absolutely no help whatsoever :(

16. labellaroma

A disappointing response is putting it mildly... Not looking good for Tes right now...

17. Magictrickster

Magictrickster New commenter

Whilst I fully appreciate the need for everyone to pull together at this critical time, I fail to understand why there would be expectations for resources and materials to be free. Supermarkets are not giving food away free to customers. Teachers, who are undoubtedly doing a sterling job during this crisis, are also receiving their full salary. There is no need for them to be fed free resources.
    Many authors are retired or semi retired teachers (I "retired" very early to focus on just creating and selling resources. That is therefore my income (not solely on TES of course), and as such I will be hit financially. I would be happy to offer support in terms of offering discounts (I have offered significant discounts on my own website), but as it is my income, I simply can't afford to give materials away for free.

18. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

TES, you should feel deeply ashamed of your actions in spectacularly failing to support both teachers and authors at a time of crisis.

Your selfishness by doing nothing to help either, is well below the level of decency I would hope you would display.

The fall in sales must be hitting your wallet as well as ours but instead of trying to turn the situation around and help teachers but giving them a discount on all the brilliant paid for resources that have already been uploaded before this crisis, you would prefer to only offer them a small smattering of hastily put together resources.

Whilst I am sure there are many good resources that have been uploaded specifically for this crisis, those resources can not hope to compete with the vast array of well considered, paid for resources that authors, (myself included) have spent time creating. Why are you are excluding offering these to teachers at a time when they are crying out for resources? The reasons you state of why you are refusing to help teachers gain access to discounted premium resources at this time, makes no sense to me.

Yes, authors are depending on an income. Yes, there are lots of authors who solely depend on this as their main income and are very worried at this time. Yes, we would like to increase those sales but not to make a huge profit out of this crisis but to sustain our income levels from before the crisis as we still have bills to pay.

We are not asking for anything more than other platforms are offering.

You are treating us unfairly as you expect us to upload resources for free, which many of us are happy to do and have already done so, but you are refusing to give us anything in return. Instead you are gambling that teachers are still happy to pay full price if they want access to the rest of the paid for resources. This past week has proved that theory wrong, so why not run a site wide sale.

The sale doesn't have to last 2 weeks, it can be just 1 week or even a couple of days, like another famouse American platform are running very soon. It will give teachers an opportunity to get a bargain to help them and will give a boost to authors. You never know, it may help remind teachers we are here and get things moving again.

Don't be mean TES, show some love at this time and support the teachers of the world and the authors who create the many wonderful resources you also profit off.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  19. studeapps

studeapps New commenter

"We have agreed to suspend any downgrading of author tiers before the end of the year but we are unfortunately unable to go further with other initiatives at this time. If this changes we will let you know immediately."

Ok. Why are you unable to have any other initiatives, given that some may be cost neutral? Have you investigated the cost of a sale and considered the Public Relations benefit of doing so (it is seen as helping in a crisis, and those customers come back).

Have you thought about making it clear that there are authors who make a living from creating resources, and without the authors charging there will not be such resources. In other words, could you advocate for your authors in a way that doesn't need to cost money.

Asking authors to upload for free actually can undermine your paid authors, making it appear that you don't value those who generate revenue for tes. This isn't just about money, it is about support and working in a partnership. Have you investigated this?

20. labellaroma

I actually think it's shameful on behalf of TES that we the authors had to ask (in the first instance) for them to run a sale. Where is the spirit to help others in times of a crisis, to show good faith and support to your loyal authors? I'm afraid TES has let the community down badly. :(

penyrheol1, vcurrie19 and mrajlong like this.