1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES resources being sold without permission

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by kevinjwelsh, Jul 10, 2016.

1. kevinjwelsh

kevinjwelsh New commenter

Hi ladies and gents,

I was looking around other resources sites and found one of my lessons being sold on there without my permission. The site is www.teacherspayteachers.com and the user that I found selling my work is called iNotes. Having a look at his/her store it looks like they have stolen many other TES users lessons and starting selling them on (490 lessons listed).

Take a look here to see their store and click on the report button on a listing: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Inotes

This really annoys me because I spent a long time making my resource and refining it and then listed it on here for free. They have come along and stolen it and made money with no effort.

Anyone else have problems like this with other sites? Did you manage to get the work taken down?

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @kevinjwelsh ,
    I hope you don't mind, but I've posted a link to this on the Authors Group.

And thank you for pointing this out.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  3. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    questionsandanswers likes this.
  4. kevinjwelsh

I did contact them and I posted a question on the users shop. It's now been taken off their site.

I did a few searches to see what resources having been copied and found that the user is a user and seller on TES (Shouldn't be surprised) here is a link to the users shop on TES https://www.tes.com/member/smasma

That is the user that took my lesson and sold it on another site.

mathsmutt likes this.
  5. kevinjwelsh

I have found a resource on TES that has been taken and sold by iNotes on TeachersPayTeachers see below:

Original TES resource uploaded by Humansnotrobots - https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/supportive-classrooms-booklet-1-6144473

TeachersPayTeachers iNotes page: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Supportive-Classrooms-Booklet-2535454

After some more research I can confirm that iNotes and https://www.tes.com/member/smasma are the same person. They have the same web address on their profiles www.inotes.ie (which is down).

6. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

If this is the same person (and it seems likely) this begs a few further questions:

1. Where did that user get the resources from that they have listed on TES? Are they also other people's copyrighted work?
    2. Why are their profiles still active on TES and *** given the obvious copyright theft?
    3. What happens to the money the user and TES and *** have profited from via the theft?
    4. Will TES ever clamp down on copyright infringements or will they continue to keep quiet and profit from it until/unless some large publisher finally decides enough is enough?
    5. How can TES retain credibility to authors if matters like this are not taken seriously and acted upon swiftly?

SallyRaine and mathsmutt like this.
  7. redlamp2

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

9. kevinjwelsh

I have just had a reply back from TES and they said that don't have any jurisdiction over any other site so won't do anything. This really annoys me, why do they bother to ask you what licence you would like to apply to your work if they don't really care what happens to your work.

Basically if you find something on iNotes(Smasma) page that is actually from someone else we need to report it. There is a button on the resource sale page. iNotes seems pretty on the ball when it comes to removing things when found out as they removed my resource off *** when I started posting questions on their sale page asking why they had stolen my resources.

I know that my lesson a long with other resources are filled with pictures that are copyright of big businesses but I'm not trying to profit from it and according to UK copyright law you can use these images under fair use in education as long as you're not making a profit.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you know the names of the businesses concerned, perhaps you could report it to them, and they might take action for breach of copyright.

mathsmutt likes this.
  11. redlamp2

Of course TES do not have jurisdiction over the other site. However it could be argued they have a responsibility to notify the other site that resources appear to have been taken from their own site to be sold illegally on that site.

This does not explain why the account continues to be active on this site and there appear to be some very clear breaches of copyright taken from numerous sources.

Interestingly Amazon are in the process of creating their own site for teaching resources and have already found themselves in trouble for breach of copyright.

Equally interesting is that Amazon took very quick action against those breaches. TES on the other hand appear to prefer to take a stance of (informed) ignorance.

The suggestion to notify the original copyright owners could be interesting. Those publishers might take a view that even the free resources on this site are used to promote the commercial interests of TES. In any case the fair use rule as I understand it is intended for classroom use, not for sharing to millions of others via the web.

Owen134866 and mathsmutt like this.
  12. kevinjwelsh

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the whole paying for it thing goes against the ethos of teaching that I joined. I post resources for free and happily use those produced by other teachers.
    I wonder if those charging for their resources are declaring the extra income to the taxman?
    incidentally i tried to update one of my resources but got stuck into a loop where something wasn't right so I could not update for the current Olympics which is annoying

14. redlamp2

I'd like to hear more about that "ethos".

Do you mean an ethos where teachers teach for free? Where the likes of Pearson et al give their publications for free. Where exam boards provide free examinations? Where school trips are free?... Then it would make sense for those creating resources in their own time to give their work away for free.

or do you mean the ethos where teachers can take anything they like and use it any way they like because "it's for the kids" and the greater good (but thanks for the salary), oh but if I catch a student plagiarising there will be hell to play? Now where's the photocopier (and I know this is cheeky but could you let me borrow that?...) How dare you charge me for your work and effort?!

Is looping an Olympic event? Good luck.

On a related note it is events like this that make me determined not to share resources for free. Not only are they rarely appreciated, people now rip them off and sell them for their own (and the likes of TES's) profits.

15. kevinjwelsh

1point4teacher, mathsmutt and marlin like this.
  16. marlin

marlin Star commenter

mathsmutt likes this.
  17. redlamp2

Still a very weak response. Are TES short of staff or just not bothered? (either are a concern)

From just a few moments I can pick out over £100 of sales of resources credited to different sources:

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/igcse-chemistry-notes-11270612
    Authored by Abdullah Al Zaabi

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/trash-by-andy-mulligan-notes-and-workbook-11138266
    Copyrighted to teachit.co.uk (14 sales @ £5.99 = profit for TES and the thief running the account)

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/the-great-gatsby-resources-11238552
    Copyrighted to tes.co.uk (1 sale @ £4)

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/macbeth-revision-notes-and-sample-essays-11140819
    Published by Mactire Press (2 sales @ £4)

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/critical-thinking-skills-lessons-module-11240468
    by Laura Rozakis (2 sales @ £4)

Doubtless there are plenty of others and this is just one account that has come to attention.

That TES has not acted on this is a concern. That they are profiting (and allowing others to profit) by providing stolen work to unwitting teachers who have paid for them from their own pocket is inexcusable.

mathsmutt, wanet and marlin like this.
  18. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

This is really a problem and I, as a children's poet, know it very well. I regularly go through my poems and one by one list them onto Google and you can see immediately if they have been put onto someone else's website. I have written 1,350 poems, so this is a lot to keep track of. They are on five websites and my websites are listed as "child friendly". Therefore I do not have any advertising at all on my website and so I do not make any money from my resources. I've just found one of mine on a website in South Africa where they are making money from my poem from the advertising which is around it, so I have written immediately and pointed out my copyright and asked them to remove it. I think many people do not seem to understand the word "copyright" so I ask all teachers to make sure their children do understand what it means because it is illegal to use an author's work without their permission - and especially not to make money from it.

mathsmutt likes this.
  19. nernstlaw

nernstlaw New commenter

I have also noticed that resources are frequently 'stolen' there are some unscrupulous people on TES that are selling others work.
    I am eternally grateful to those who have posted their work for free....there are some absolutely excellent ideas and TES resources (free) has saved my bacon on more than one occasion!
    I must learn how to upload some of my own stuff to repay the favour! (only if it doesn't get stolen and earns someone else £££)

nernst

20. redlamp2

How much do you need to 'learn' to be able to upload some resources?! It ain't rocket science.

Perhaps if enough people reported and pestered TES about stolen and copyrighted material they'd eventually do something. Though I suspect not unless it's a big publisher with a legal team (which may yet happen now profit is involved).