1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tes Problem Page

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Nov 17, 2016.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I only ask because a close friend is feeling worried about his contribution to climate change.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I don't think people produce much methane.

Flatus (intestinal gas) is mostly produced as a byproduct of bacterial fermentation in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, especially the colon.[19] There are reports of aerophagia (excessive air swallowing) causing excessive intestinal gas, but this is considered rare.[20] Over 99% of the volume of flatus is composed of non-smelly gases.[5] These include oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen and methane. Nitrogen is not produced in the gut, but a component of environmental air. Patients who have excessive intestinal gas that is mostly composed of nitrogen have aerophagia.[21] Hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane are all produced in the gut and contribute 74% of the volume of flatus in normal subjects.[22] Methane and hydrogen are flammable, and so flatus containing adequate amounts of these can be ignited.[23] Not all humans produce flatus that contains methane. For example, in one study of the faeces of nine adults, only five of the samples contained archaea capable of producing methane.[24] The prevalence of methane over hydrogen in human farts may correlate with obesity, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome, as archaea that oxidise hydrogen into methane promote the metabolism's ability to absorb fatty acids from food.[25]

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Methane is twenty times more potent as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide but if we burn a mole of methane we would only produce a mole of carbon dioxide so burning methane as a fuel would reduce the greenhouse effect of methane by 95%.

bevdex likes this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I think I'll just leave it to you two. Easier in the long run.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You TWO? Sorry, lanokia.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No, no, no. We need as wide a spread of microbial DNA as we can get.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Yeah, but .... methane in the atmosphere breaks down to carbon dioxide and water over time, so even the methane released from oceanic sinks, cow and other ruminant burps (note: not farts), human sources, land sources (swamps mainly) does not remain in the atmosphere.

bevdex and racroesus like this.
  8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

And a very fine Easter Monday morning to you all!
    Another day for burning one's bits! Don't forget the factor 30.
    "A very close friend" should rest assured that she will not be harming the earth's atmosphere .;)

Although, your knickers must be in tatters. I bet they resemble a Hawaiian dancer's skirt!

Go commando in this hot weather, dear.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

But not on a bus

bevdex likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Nobody would dare upskirt me. Besides, I never go upstairs on buses. Too much like hard work.

bevdex and primarycat like this.
  11. Dunteachin

Perish the thought of someone upskirting one's upstairs!:eek:

bevdex, nizebaby and primarycat like this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But while it is atmospheric methane it is worse than CO2 and water vapour so the sooner we burn it the better.

bevdex likes this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Dear Dunty,

My sweetheart has been repeating what I imagine must be an ear worm most of my life.

It goes something like this...

"We don't need a piece of paper from the City Hall, de dah de dah de dah."

As it happens, we've got a piece of paper from the City Hall asking me to find a hundred and fifty quid in council tax this month.

In years gone by, I had to travel all four corners of the land to earn the money to pay those bills and when she got to the bit of the song that goes "The bed's too big, the frying pan's too wide", I went out and bought her smaller ones.

Thankfully my traveling days are over now and my pension covers the council tax, but the song never ceases to raise concern, since it starts off

"My old man he's a singer in the park
    He's a walker in the rain
    He's a dancer in the dark..."

I'm just pondering what my happen if I went missing one day and she gave the police those words as a description of me. What do you reckon are the chances they will fetch me back home, compared to those of her getting me sectioned?

14. Dunteachin

15. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Would she want her spouse returned? Probably better to go for the sectioning.

16. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

We could always produce evidence aplenty of barmpottery from this thread alone!

RepelloInimicum likes this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Yeah, but does Mrs DoY indulge?

bevdex likes this.
  18. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

She sounds far too sensible!

19. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I visited a brewery in the holidays. They assured me that barm is the frothy run off when beer is made so barmy / barmpottery is to do with having nothing but froth between the ears. Not sure that I've even got that left after today.

bevdex likes this.
  20. Dunteachin