1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Personals

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MyOrchid, May 23, 2020.

1. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

Dear TES Personals users,

Thank you for visiting the site today. In order to gain an understanding of our users, it would be very interesting to know why you decided to log on.

I am genuinely interested why people frequent this forum.

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

At this precise moment because I woke up thirsty couldn’t get back to sleep & was bored. Generally, for the eclectic range of threads, conversations, debates, characters & posts.

3. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

I wake up and wonder what is going on today, among colleagues, educators and also, in an egocentric way, if anyone has looked at my posts! And, being isolated, being able to engage in some thought provoking conversations, ask questions and get impartial advice, no matter how brutal it may be. This is keeping me connected with other people who may see work life form my perspective too. I don't discuss work with my family or friends - they listen politely and I can sense their inner yawns!
    Some good ideas and topics to ponder over.

Jamvic, sbkrobson and emerald52 like this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

To see how virtual friends and acquaintances are doing. For information and entertainment.

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Like youtube compilation videos of car crashes it's predictable but hard not to watch.

Kandahar likes this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It's a bad habit. I first came here in 2006 when I was doing my PGDE. I come and go, but nevertheless I'm still logging on, ugh.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It keeps me in touch with members of a profession with whom I've enjoyed working for most of my adult life.

Informed debate, thought-provoking ideas, top tips, good advice, mutual support and a bit of a giggle.

(That'll be a fiver please TES_Admin, into the usual offshore account, ta ;))

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

That's basically referring to all the time I waste here.

Lidnod likes this.
  9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Because I'm trying to put off getting on the exercise bike for the daily 60 minutes pedalling.

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Fifteen years ago I made the mistake of checking into the Hotel California...
    :eek:

11. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Today, I was looking to see if there were any more thoughts about SAGE's announcement yesterday, in that idle moment between having got up to feed the cat and getting on with the rest of the day.

I enjoy seeing what other people think about things. Living on my own, I suppose miss having someone to bounce ideas off. I know that in the TES community, I'll find stuff to make me laugh and make me think, and where I can share my opinions if I need to get something off my chest, when I might not have anyone at work who feels the same way, or is even interested enough to want to discuss it.

I've come to see the other regular posters as acquaintances and friends, especially those I've met at the meets I've been to (Hello folks!). I'm interested to see what they think about current affairs, and what's happening in their lives, in case there's anything I can say to help them, as they've helped me.

12. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

It’s good to read ideas from intelligent people who care about similar things to me. Those who are politically opposed to my views are helpful so I get to understand their views. I enjoy the humorous posts such as TES problem page. Retirement can be lonely especially now in lockdown so that helps.

Jamvic and Lidnod like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I really like to connect with like minded professionals and help shape the agenda.
    Can I have a biscuit, Ann?

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

This isn't a TES admin query, is it? @MyOrchid is an ordinary poster, I think.

Anyhow, people come to me with their problems.
    And I had to disinfect the Dungeon.

AD

racroesus, Jamvic, emerald52 and 3 others like this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I am cut off from information except via t'interweb as my TV aerial has got blown out of kilter. (What is "kilter" anyway?) The wind was horrendous here yesterday (I'm not that high up, 700 feet maybe) and is bad again today. So no TV, and are aerial fixer upperers working? Is it "essential" that we watch some government minister for porkies telling more on t'telly?

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've tried Twitter and mumsnet but the ranting and general illiteracy irritate me.

17. rararasputin

rararasputin Senior commenter

Useful distraction from work, a sense of community during lockdown, a range of political views - for me, facebook is a bit of an echo chamber because my friends on there either don't discuss politics or their views are similar to mine on the whole.

Jamvic and emerald52 like this.
  18. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Don't do more than 60 minutes of vigorous pedalling Theo:

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

BBC HYS is absolutely woeful, especially on NI affairs. The posters are poor as well.

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I wake up and ask which day of the week it is. Coming to this site reminds me there are better things to argue about at times. Then I realise we are probably in cuckoo land!