1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Personal virtual Macmillan coffee morning

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knitone, Oct 2, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes I do think we want a total. I don't mind how its done but a PM is fine. You do feel a need to do something don't you.

knitone likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Indeed a lovely way to acknowledge support for all posters who've had experience of using Macmillan nurses/ website in a practical way.

Just got to think what sort of cake to provide and of course if we 'invite a couple of friends over at some point to share the cake, they could 'swell' the total if they so wish. :)

knitone and Jamvic like this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am booked into Betty's for afternoon tea that day. I should be able to get some pretty impressive cake photos :D

4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I am happy to total the contributions of those who want to disclose them. If people want their donations to be private, which is totally understandable, we will be able to say that our total is in excess of £X. Beginning to get excited! :)

bevdex, Jamvic, Lara mfl 05 and 2 others like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Looking forward to those photos.
    :)

bombaysapphire likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm in.

Lara mfl 05 and knitone like this.
  7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'll be there, in the hairdressers having some more crazy colours on my hair.

[​IMG]

8. Alceanne1

Alceanne1 Senior commenter

Excellent idea - I'm in.

9. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

And me. I have eaten a lot of cake for MacMillan in the last week so a virtual cake is probably the best thing for me. (There was so much cake donated ...it just had to be tried/eaten! )

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You never know your luck. 31st October might turn out to be the same day that TES eventually sort out whatever is delaying the launch of their much vaunted new website.

Can we cope with Halloween, leaving the EU, a MacMillan coffee morning and trying to work out the mysteries of how; or whether we will ever be to communicate with each other again, all on the same day?

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Oh dukey, you don't half go on!

.Thank you, tes, for keeping this on the top.

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

I'm in!:)

knitone and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Could TES contributors from other forums also be invited to maximise donations and participation? Is it possible for this ongoing thread to be replicated across the site to spread awareness of the event or would that not be possible to do in practice.

nizebaby likes this.
  14. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

only tes staff eg @TES_Rosaline could do it efficiently if they thought it appropriate.

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Argh! It's getting closer. I had better not forget! Where has the time gone?

nizebaby, josienig and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Well, for quite a bit of it, you were in intensive care. Great to have you back!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Alceanne1

Alceanne1 Senior commenter

Has anyone found the link to donate? I've found one where group fundraisers donate, but I'm not sure if that is what was meant in the message on the previous page. If it is, it does ask what your event is called.
    I was planning to donate ahead of time, in case I have a busy day.

18. Lara mfl 05

Good reminder for us all.
    I haven't looked for a link yet. I was assuming it would appear on the day.

19. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Morning. I asked McMillan at the beginning of the month if we could donate as a group, and this is the reply that they sent:

439E75B0-91A6-434F-9A95-675184E4704B.jpeg

According to the letter, we should use the donate button on the coffee morning page:

https://donation.macmillan.org.uk/w...MI2vXyt-i-5QIVw8reCh0rAASXEAAYASAAEgLpyPD_BwE

Unfortunately, this means that we don’t get a ‘TES total’, but some people have suggested that they could PM me with their donation. Others, of course, may want to keep their donation private, but I would be able to say that we we had raised in excess of £X. At least one other person has said that they want to donate directly to a specific McMillan branch, and that is absolutely fine. The main thing is to raise money for a very worthwhile cause, and if we can take time out of a busy day to have a chat, a piece of cake and a cup of tea or coffee, then that is a bonus.

Since it is a virtual coffee morning, I think that there should be a virtual prize for a photo of the best cake. And, since the coffee morning is happening on Hallowe’en, I am hoping to win a virtual prize for the best carved pumpkin category :)

susanrk, guinnesspuss and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

One of best ever quotes! EVAH!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.