1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Personal virtual Macmillan coffee morning

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knitone, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Absolutely marvellous idea.

Macmillan do an awful lot for so many , not only with actual physical nurses but with their various online sites dealing with the different cancers.

So Oct 31 sounds good. especially as there's not anything 'momentous' happening on that day, form which we may need distraction, is there?;)

bevdex, nizebaby, towncryer and 5 others like this.
  2. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Great idea and a wonderful charity. I'll be there! ☕️

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I might be in a really bad mood on that day.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

All the more reason to 'have cake'. :D

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Hell yes, we may need cake and coffee and tea and quite possibly something very much stronger. Good to have something to make the day feel more positive.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'll do my best to join. I have a friend who works for Macmillan. Brilliant organisation.

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

This is a great idea!
    One thing though - if we choose the group or association option, would we still be able to donate as individuals so that those of us who are taxpayers could Gift Aid their donations?

8. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Gah! "Yeet"!!!!!! There's something about that word that cracks me up!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

10. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Good point. I am afraid I don’t know, but I have just emailed Macmillan’s coffee morning team to ask. I will let you know if I get a reply. I wonder if we will be their first virtual coffee morning!

towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I love this idea, but just a thought - my dad had 2 lovely Macmillan nurses who were fantastic. We wanted to ask for donations for Macmillan instead of flowers, but we were forewarned that a general 'Macmillan' donation would go straight to Head Office. The 2 nurses who looked after my dad and supported my mum are the only 2 nurses in the area, and as a result, work incredibly hard. They suggested that we specified the local (Macmillan) Palliative Care Team so that they would receive the donations. Maybe we could all donate specifically to our local team? At my dad's funeral today, we received donations of a few hundred pounds. This will make a significant difference to the local team, rather than being swallowed up into the pot at Head Office.

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Sending condolences, @jellycowfish

Aquamarina1234 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. jellycowfish

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  14. jellycowfish

Thank you

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. jellycowfish

16. jellycowfish

Aargh! How do you delete posts?

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You're on! please remind us nearer to the date,

Lara mfl 05, catmother and knitone like this.
  18. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

What a great idea. Will there be a new thread started for the actual coffee morning or will it happen on this thread? Also, will there be a link on said thread for us to donate via the correct TES group on the day?

towncryer, Lara mfl 05 and knitone like this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@jellycowfish Condolences and best wishes to you. I can really understand your point about supporting the local organisation, you must feel so close to them. Personally, I'm happy for the money to go into the wider pot. ( administrators have mortgages too.) and think there is a strong argument for keeping this simple. As @knitone is setting it up I'm happy to leave it to her but I think simple is good.

Lara mfl 05 and jellycowfish like this.
  20. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

@Jamvic - I think your idea of a separate thread for the actual event is a good idea. I will start a thread at eight in the morning and we could keep it going all day as a sort of open house for people to drop in when they are able. @jellycowfish of course you should absolutely be able to direct your donation where you wish, especially since you have such a strong connection to a local team. For those of us who do not have such a connection, I thought it might be good to see how much we can raise as a site.