1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Marvellous Baby & Toddler Department

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hermione2001ie, May 10, 2007.

1. hermione2001ie

hermione2001ie New commenter

Rossi, Henry is 8 weeks now. His sleep pattern sounds very similar to your son's (how old is he?). Henry is asleep now at 10-has been since about 8. He will wake up when we take him upstairs where he'll get fed (formula-then breastfeed pudding!). The last couple of nights he's been waking up at 2am. Wiiiiiiiide awake, not hungry really, just wanting to gurgle and play! Then he'll go back to sleep til 6 ish. The last couple of days he and I have then stayed in bed til 12ish!! I've had a stinking cold and not been ***** to get up. So both of us doze on and off :) and listen to Womans Hour etc. I feel we should be making more of an effort to get him into a proper routine-putting him down in his moses basket but we normally end up with him passed out on me in front of the tv all evening. Is this bad? Gina Ford would have a fit!

2. Thanks sophie- it's always comforting to hear that others are experiencing the same things (if unfortunate for you of course!) and that others are dealing with problems the same way.

I'm totally in agreement with the 'braving the public' option- as you say, trying to deal with the tantrums calmly and consistently can only reinforce to the little tyrants that 'no' means 'no' and kicking and screaming won't get them anywhere! Initially I felt very self-conscious and a bit flustered about what others thought but now I find I'm getting better at putting up imaginary blinkers with which to shut out the stares!

3. Thanks sophie- it's always comforting to hear that others are experiencing the same things (if unfortunate for you of course!) and that others are dealing with problems the same way.

I'm totally in agreement with the 'braving the public' option- as you say, trying to deal with the tantrums calmly and consistently can only reinforce to the little tyrants that 'no' means 'no' and kicking and screaming won't get them anywhere! Initially I felt very self-conscious and a bit flustered about what others thought but now I find I'm getting better at putting up imaginary blinkers with which to shut out the stares!

4. coxshaw I have to say I am quite enjoying it! I'm not someone who would normally make a spectacle of themselves in public but there's something quite delicious about calmly wandering around a shop whilst child goes utterly ballistic/other mums tut/shop assistant stares open-mouthed. I'm convinced I'm doing the right thing (have got over first-time mum neuroses now) so it doesn't really bother me..OH absolutely hates it though!

5. hermione - he is 6 weeks old now, 7 weeks on Saturday. He did well last night sleeping from 8pm - 11pm woken for a feed, 11.45pm - 4.30 am woke for feed, 5am - 7.30am. How is Henry today?

6. Well done. I've often thought there should be one of these threads.

Anyway, hoping for some advice. My little boy still can't sit up unsupported and he's over 9 months old now. Has anyone else had this?

7. htf, I don't have any personal experience of that but would just say try not to worry too much. They all develop at different rates- my daughter started walking 7 months earlier than my friend's baby of the same age- my friend worried incessantly about it but her little boy is absolutely fine. When is your boy's next developmental check? If it's not for a while, you could put your mind at rest by seeing the Health Visitor- I'm sure they'd tell you there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

8. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

HTF my cousin's little boy has just sat up unaided at 10 1/2 months - all is fine with him he's just developed other skills first.

9. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

I'm back at work now and had been planning to carry on feeding Jude morning and night to give him at least a little breast milk but myy supply has depleted dramatically and am having to top up these feeds with formula. Am in a dilemma as to whether i should carry on feeding him myself or just change to bottles? Anyone got any tips?

10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

htf, my daughter didn't sit stably on the floor until 9 months. In her case, I wasn't worrying, because it was clear that she just wasn't interested - she was too busy crawling. She sussed it a couple of days after starting to pull herself up to standing. Before would have been better - initially she just had no skills for descending from standing, and we had a lot of bumped heads for a few days.

They are all so different: my daughter and her peers all have different things they can and can't do, and I think a lot of it is just their character. One of her friends (10 months) has been sitting for ages but has made no attempt to roll or otherwise move - but we think he's just too laid back and content to watch the world go by!

My doctor, at the eight-month check, suggested that I went back in 6 weeks if she still hadn't met the remaining two milestones (sitting and pincer grip). If you're worried, you might want to ask the health visitor or doctor. But if everything else seems okay, I wouldn't worry.

11. hermione2001ie

Well, my little spud went from 7lbs 14 last Thurs to 8lbs 11 yesterday-nearly a pound in 6 days! Woohoo!That's because we'd upped his formula I guess. He looks different now too...

12. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

As my nana would say, 'he's growing like a mushroom'. :)

13. hermione2001ie

heheheh! He's a fun-guy that's for sure....

hahahahahahhaha oh funny, funny me ahhahahahaha!

14. morning star

morning star New commenter

Hermione - do the medics have any suggestion as to why Henry is making so much more progress on formula? Is it because his sucking is not strong or because he sicks up more breast milk because it's thinner or do you just produce semi skimmed???

15. hermione2001ie

Hehe! I think I produce very small amounts of skimmed actually! I just don't satisfy his hunger...I do produce something but I really don't think it's very much. When I was pregnant my boobs didn't grow. Then I had emergency c section under GA and ended up being anaemic for several weeks. So I think these factors hindered my milk production further. My boobs don't really provide much evidence that there's anything there really. I do feel a let down but it's very short and quick. I only hear swallowing sounds for a few seconds, the rest of the time he flutter sucks. The most I've ever managed to express is 1oz. There's rarely any milky residue when I feed him i.e. on his mouth. He's never settled after I feed him....hence the formula.

16. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

Hi all. I can now join this thread. Francesca Grace was born on 5/6/07 at 9:27 by emergency c-section. She is beautiful and wa a big girl 8lb 4oz. She has the biggest feet I have ever seen on a baby too...lol. i think if her had hadn't got stuck first from it's position her feet sure would have done...lol.

Trying to establish breastfeeding at the moment but finding it really hard. My nipples are sore as anything. My left nipple has lots of skin tags on it so no matter what position I put her in to breastfeed it is agony. Not sure whether to express from that one, buy nipple shields or what. Also has anyone found any breast pads that actually work, when I feed her my other boob leaks. Should I nvest in those breats shell things to collect the leaking milk?

17. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

Hello Snowboarder, it is hard work at first. I used boots only breast pads that were quite good or the Tommy Tippee ones. Most others were no good for me and even then i had to change them regularly! Have you got any Lanisoh? Might help nipples, also expressing a bit can help to get going - i did this when i found it hard feeding on one side. Ask your midwife, mine gave me like a patch thing for sore nipples but i can't remember its name. Hope Francesca is ok:)

18. I used the Johnson's breast pads and they were great, but I've now got Boots washable ones which are also pretty good. If you're leaking loads then breast shells might be a good idea. Do persevere with breastfeeding - it gets easier! Although Pete now has two little teeth poking through his gums - ouch ouch ouch!!!

19. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

Ooh Jude's just got two teeth too:)