1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Marvellous Baby & Toddler Department

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hermione2001ie, May 10, 2007.

1. Thanks very much for the advice. Having recently got my official stamp of approval I am starting to think of all the practical questions I should probably have considered a while ago! Will look on the websites suggested, especially ebay, and the advice about test driving pushchairs is great. Thanks again. :)

2. hermione2001ie

hermione2001ie New commenter

Thanks soapbox x

On a different subject (sort of) were any of you watching Lenny Henry's Night In (or whatever it's called) last night? He showed clips of a programme called The Dying Room (I think) which was in China. Oh my god. Basically it's a sort of orphanage for girls. Lots of the babies/toddlers were literally tied into these cane chairs and there was a room with cots in with blankets over them...underneath the blankets were baby girls who were pretty much being left to die. They also showed the outside of a room where they'd taken a girl in (the staff) to die. They didnt' want to check it themselves, just waited for one of the older children to come and tell them that the baby had died. Jeez. I would've been horrified by this before I had Henry but now I've got my own child it affected me so much more. As far as I'm concerned there should be no red tape with people (from UK and elsewhere)adopting these girls, poor little things. Yes, I know that's a flippant comment to make but you know what I mean.

3. The Dying rooms and Return to the dying rooms are quite old now (over a decade now) and conditions are much improved - at least in the orphanges adopting to westerners.

I remember when they both came out and the protests that followed. I've seen both of these myself (and used the one you mention with 6th years studying China's one child policy) and they reduced me to tears every time I watched it.

China has also (finally) begun in the last few years a foster scheme for children who are living in orphanages (but mostly only the 6% who the government decrees can be adopted abroad), and also allowed foreign charities to run orphanages and arrange care for sick and special needs children.

Excellent place for news on Chinas orphans are the following:

http://chinesestarfish.blogspot.com/
    http://lwbchinablog.blogspot.com/

and http://www.rainbowkids.com/

4. hermione2001ie

Really? I'd not seen/heard of it before (where was I 10 years ago?!!). Still, really hope that they don't exist any more.

5. hermione2001ie

Just had a quick look at those links. Wonderful seeing happy kids-has made me feel better!

6. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

Back to work - arrghh!! I have been back to work today, actually I really enjoyed it once I got there but I hated leaving Jude, was waiting at the gate for MR B to bring him home. I hope I'm not like that when I'm back every day. I'm pretty worried about it now, yet I do want to go back.

7. hermione2001ie

Update: Henry put on a massive 1g over the past week. Yes that's ONE GRAM-which is approximately the weight of a fart. So, we've really had to have a u turn on the feeding. He's now having formula every 3 hours with boobies in between. Really really not what I wanted to happen but he's so tiny still, you'd never think he was nearly 2 months. I'm also planning on stalling his 8 week jabs as I/we dont' feel he's robust enough to deal with the aftermath...

And I'm really fat! Bigger now than I was the week after I had him! Not impressed!

Blah.

8. Aw bless! how much does he weigh? what was he at birth?

9. -:¦:-?:*'"*:?.-:¦:-?*
    My great niece came safely into the world on 29th May. Am I qualified to read this thread now?
    -:¦:-?:*'"*:?.-:¦:-?*

Great Auntie Mini x

10. ooh just found this thread. Can I put the cat amongst the pigeons and say that Gina Ford's routines saved my life?
    Awful birth, PND, extremely ill and fractious baby..I DID leave her to cry when I knew she was fed/changed/warm and I'm so glad because she has grown into a beautiful but headstrong toddler, who luckily now knows I'm definitely in charge. She is so independent and the routines helped her learn to fall asleep, wake up happy, eat instead of snack..

11. hermione2001ie

Rossi, Henry was 6llbs 11 when he was born. Last Tues he was 7llbs 8 and then we upped the formula and he was 7llbs 14 by Thurs! Yikes!I know it's not an exact science this weighing business though...

God I feel rough, cold and hayfever simultaneously. Not funny!

12. Hello, need some advice from fellow mums of toddlers!

My lovely daughter is entering the 'terrible twos' a few months early and has totally got the hang of tantrums. If they happen at home, it's fine; we just turn our backs and ignore until she's behaving nicely again.

This weekend it's escalated to full-blown kicking, screaming rages when we are withdrawing her from a situation she's really enjoying e.g. when we had to leave a party yesterday and the childminder's earlier today. On both occasions, I warned her in advance that we have to leave soon, encouraged her to say goodbye to everyone etc... but when I picked her up, I received several blows to the face and chest from tiny flying fists and angry little feet. I stayed calm and said 'I can see that you're cross but I'm afraid we have to go'... then just ignored the raging and shoe-horned her into the car seat.

I'm wondering if there's any other way of dealing with these sort of incidents? Is there an argument for waiting a bit 'til the child is calmer and more ready to go or is that just soft? I'm having a bit of trouble seeing how doing what I'm doing is going to teach dear daughter that the behaviour is unwanted. At home we use short 'Time-outs' if she hits us etc and we usually get a hug to say sorry. Obviously, time-out isn't doable in the car/street etc so....any thoughts? Advice? Experiences?

13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Hermione: don't worry too much about weight when it comes to the jabs. Prem babies have their jabs at their chronological age, so my daughter was very small when she had them. The only thing is that they can't automatically have Calpol until 4kg (about 8.8lb), but the 2-month ones are usually no problem anyway, or at least nothing that can't be made better by having a bit of a feed.

When we went for daughter's 8-month check, she'd gone down an ounce in 10 days, compared with the previous fortnight when she'd gone up 14 ounces. I suspected dodgy scales, but according to the baby clinic one she'd only gone up 3 ounces in the fortnight. Not a problem though - most slow down after about 6 months, but she spent 6-8 months climbing up the bands on the growth chart and slowed down a bit later.

14. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

Hermione, am really glad to hear that Henry is putting on weight and doing well. The jabs are horrible but if you give him a feed straight after that usually settles them. I never gave Jude calpol until his 3 month ones.
    Sorry coxshaw haven't a clue about toddlers as Jude is only 4 1/2 months but good luck!! My friend is having the same problem with her little boy - she's hoping its just a phase:)
    Frustum I've really stopped going to get Jude weighed as they seem to be obsessed with weight at the health clinic and he seems fine to me - how often do you think should I get him weighed at his age?

15. coxshaw, wish I could help but can only emphathise..we are giong through exactly the same thing with ours. I am doing exactly as you described and I do think it is working as she realises stropping is not going to get her anywhere/change our minds. Horrible though, but I hope short-lived if we keep consistent. I think lots of public appearances will condition her to this ,rather than staying at home like a hermit as I feel inclined to do at present :)

16. post 52 ... blushes ... I had one of those earlier today!

I am so tired I feel sick with it. My baby and my husband are ill and so am I :-(

17. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think our clinic says you should get them weighed every 1-3 months, once you're past the very first stage. If you're not worried, I don't think you need to bother: they get weighed at the eight month check anyway. I think some people have doubts about how the baby's doing with switching to solids: it's sometimes difficult to know if you're getting the right balance between milk and solids.

I tend to go every month: having a tiny baby who is making great progress, it's quite nice to go and see how she's doing on catching up with her peers. And our clinic is close by, so it's no hassle to go: in fact, since it's the only time she ever stays still to have her nappy taken on and off, it probably saves me energy.

I'm going to go this week to find out how far off we are from needing the next car seat. Part of me is very reluctant to shell out all that money: she hasn't been in her current one since February! ROSPA tell me it's no use me buying a car seat and hoping we can use it in random cars, since none of them fit every car and it's worse to use a badly fitting one than none at all. I'm going to go to Kiddicare and ask them - I suspect they know which ones are most versatile. I can't predict whose car we're going to be travelling in - nearly a third of her journeys have been lifts to and from post-natal classes, with someone I've never seen before or since.

18. hi how old is henry now? Sorry if there are mistakes in typing sat trying to get the little man to sleep at same time. He hates being put down! I need some advice. Over the past week he has become very good at sleeping 6 or 7 hours on a night after a feed. Unfortunately this is from 7 til 2 not 10 til 5! He then wakes at 2, feeds and sleeps til 6. Any ideas how to get him to do the 7 hours throiugh the night wen we all need it most!

19. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can try moving the wake-up by stealth. Wake him 20 minutes earlier each night, and then once it's got to just before your bedtime, hopefully the problem is solved. It does seem to work: we successfully moved a 2am wake-up to 11pm. My problem at the moment is that she isn't waking up at the same time each night, so it's less easy to do something like this.

20. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

Thanks Frustum, good advice. I never thought about his weight for the car seat - we're ok for a month or two but He's a big boy so I'll have to keep an eye on that. Let me know how you get on if you buy one as I haven't a clue which we'll need but it too would have to be versatile. I think you can get ones that last right through now and change into a booster seat so I might go that way.