1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Marvellous Baby & Toddler Department

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hermione2001ie, May 10, 2007.

1. This is a new thread for folk to progress to once they've finished in the maternity department. I'm sure we'll all still pop onto Kirkie's thread to offer our pearls of wisdom!

Hermione x

2. Oooh...I wonder who'll be next to join our post natal ranks!?

3. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

Good morning! How is H and H junior today? Jude has been up and gone back to bed - it's a hard life. I'm going to give him his first real breakfast of porrige today - gosh my life is exciting! :)

4. Good idea Hermione. I hope Ill be posting regularly in here VERY soon!

5. H has sore boobies and Little H is "asleep" in moses basket...I say "asleep" as we can never be complacent on that front!

6. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

Hopefully I'll be joining you in the next couple of weeks too.

7. Have put this in my hotlist for next few weeks. Can't wait to join you!

8. Hi, I would love to join. My little man has been aawake sinece 8 and will not go back to sleep. He is nearly 3 weeks and insists on sleeping on one of us instead of in his basket!

9. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

Jude has scoffed all his porridge - the greedy little thing:) And now he's gone back to bed again. He takes after his Dad...

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Are visitors welcome?

11. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

Of course we're very friendly

12. Here's another of Polster's top tips.

M&S do the best mid-range baby-gros IMHO and I have recently moved baby up to the 3-6 months range. The plastic wallets that the vests and sleep-suits come in are perfect for packing the little clothes away and keeping them dust-free. So hang on to them!

13. frustum

frustum Established commenter

I just hurl the clothes into boxes. The ones in use don't stay still long enough to collect dust, and the outgrown ones fill a box and then I close it. Maybe the novelty of the baby stuff just wears off after nearly 9 months. I'm now realising that some of the summer dresses are going to want ironing, at least when my mother visits...

Anyway, baby frustum is nearly 9 months, and a bit of a nightmare at the moment. It's not so much that she sleeps less well than she used to, but that she will insist on pulling herself up on things, and trying to climb. She's not so good at lowering herself, and she is bumping her head at least twice a day. It might help if she'd mastered sitting before starting all this - she's still not 100% stable sitting - that's lack of practice, because she has always preferred to be rolling and wriggling rather than sit still.

14. Hi all!

Just a quick question - my mum bought me some books today (am only 9 and half weeks pregnant lol!) on parenting, etc. Have any of you used or are any of you using a routine, like Gina Ford or Tracy Hogg?

If so, how's it going?

Siani xxx

15. I used Gina Ford with first child. I used it to fit my own ideas but it gave me something to work from.

Young TL was in her own room at 9 weeks and sleeping through with one wake about 4am.

Still think it worked as she is a very good sleeper and still likes her 12 hours kip whatever time we put her to bed!

I know some people are very anti routines though, my mother in law for example thought I was too strict. Try it, if you don't like it you can try something else.
    THink the routine also worked as I like routine too!

16. Katie_B

Katie_B New commenter

I've read a few of the books and think some of the routines are completely mad - that said no routine doesn't suit us either. I think the bedtime routine has been our most successful so far as even when babs was a newborn we woke him at the same time every night to bath him and put him to bed. He's been sleeping 12 hours since he was 9 weeks old too. The rest of the day he seems to ahve developed a routine naturally. one book i read even timed in when you ate and when the baby was 6 months old said "you may wish to go on a trip" - well i'm afraid we've been here there and everywhere since Jude was a week old coz I hate being in the house all day:) I would say no one way in a book will be right for you. I use books for ideas and then do things my own way!! (Jude will probably be a nightmare when he's older) :)

17. Hi, what are some of your routines. My little man is 3 weeks old and trying to start a routine for night times with him and would be interested in some ideas. Also how do you make up and store bottle feeds. Its impossible to do it how they want it to be done because you need to know 45 minutes in advance to make up the milk.

18. anyone?

19. frustum

frustum Established commenter

I've tended to work on watching to see what routine develops naturally, then built on that. So my daughter seemed reluctant to sleep at all in the morning, but would fall asleep at about 3pm for about 3 hours. Fine - so on days when she didn't seem sleepy, I stuck her in the pushchair at about 3 to encourage the nap.

The problem comes when they're ready for change - she stopped wanting the long sleep, and then rarely slept for more than about 45 minutes. But she would go off to sleep feeding, so we went onto making sure that mid-morning and mid-afternoon feeds could turn into sleeps.

We're in a change phase at the moment: she seems to be having a 2 hour sleep most days, but at random times, and not always. I need to get a routine again, but it's not clear what we're aiming at. And today so far has been 30 mins plus about 20 mins. At least she might sleep through tonight...

20. I too have waited for routine to emerge. Youngest is now 15 months. Up at 7, take sprogs to school at 8.30 (where he waddles around for about half an hour), asleep in car and transfers into bed until somewhere between 11.30 and 1.00. Lunch, potter about, collect sprogs, potter about, bath and bed by about 8pm. Really rigorous as you see. Until recently baby had a second sleep in car on way to collect the elder 2 but now only does that if he's been swimming or to toddler group.

Babies have always slept in our room until about 18 months as we have significant space issues in our little house. Foundation for Study of Infant Deaths advises that babies should sleep in parents' room until 6 months. Sound of parents's breathing helps baby to regularise own breathing.

Personally I would burn any copy of any book by Gina Ford. "Eat your breakfast which should be cereal, toast and fruit juice". Should it indeed? More importantly, her obsession with expressing breast milk just changes breast feeding from a natural response to your hungry baby to something more akin to milking Buttercup and Daisy. And she's so smug. And pedantic. And inflexible. And awful.