1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES heroes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Good heavens no! That's totally against T&C.

2. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Sorry everyone for having disappeared without so much as a by your leave :oops:

I've learned something today. I just looked up this phrase, cos I don't think I've ever actually committed it to writing. And behold it's "by your leave". I've been under the impression, over all these years (too many to contemplate now), that it was "by or leave".

Reminds me of that South African cricketer, Jon T. Rhodes...

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Welcome back Shadrack.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Did your device auto-correct it?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Waves to ES

Lara mfl 05 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

I almost always use my computer for TES posting, for which there is no such auto-correct, thankfully.

My other device, namely my brain, never had the phrase correct in the first place.

I'll "has it" a guess that it's not the last time such an event will happen (another one of mine).

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Hello Emanuel. What will the effect of coronavirus on TES Meets for 2020, do you think?

9. Aquamarina1234

How did you know you had it wrong then?

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

None of this "welcome back" and other cheery nonsense...

I demand an interrogation... an accounting... a reckoning... where has he been? Who has he been with? Why do I have CCTV of him in Wuhan in early December? Why was he at the grassy knoll? Why did he fake the moon landing? Why was he the secret first man on the moon? Why did he spike my coffee? Who invented Chihuahuas? Why is my hand melting?

We must know!!!

11. EmanuelShadrack

Now there's a question.

I'm afraid knocking up any sort of answer to that would be in serious breach of the Thread Diversion Act.

12. EmanuelShadrack

I fess up. I've been busy planting controlled explosives.

primarycat likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why is he wanting to "knock me up"? How is he suggesting he'll do this? Do I need to be there? Why me? Why you? Why anything? Why y?

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sounds plausible...

Go on...

15. EmanuelShadrack

I used a "popular seach engine" to check the exact usage, and came upon this page:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/without-so-much-as-a-by-your-leave.html

I see I'm not the first person to make the mistake in question, as the author of the article writes:

I have to admit that, as a callow youth and when my mother used this phrase, I though [sic] it was 'without a by or leave', not really knowing what a 'by' or a 'leave' might be.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's sometimes useful to take a diversion on threads that get bogged down, because it allows the chance to return and surprise your opponents by heading them off at the pass, like they used to in cowboy films.

17. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I'm trying not to panic here but I am wondering about using the tube now. A friend of mine (retired) has said she will not be going into London for the foreseeable future as she doesn't want to use the underground.

18. Aquamarina1234

Yeh but yeh but... what made you think you had it wrong in the first place?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So you can stroll in the bracing fresh air and not the metallic sardine tube that passes for public transport.

Lovely... ;)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Good point. Also there are lots of ways to contract all sorts of diseases. As I'm not immune suppressed I won't stop travelling until official advice dictates otherwise.

Lara mfl 05 and emerald52 like this.