1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES heroes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Feb 27, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@EmanuelShadrackEver

Who has been oddly silent of late... Hope all is well with you good sir.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Strange how a poster who has only been with us for a few months seems to know about Opinion and lost long posters.

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Stranger things have happened at sea my dear. Don't worry yourself over it.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Lara mfl 05 and catmother like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Probably nothing sinister in it. I lost my username when I quit work (retired) and no longer had access to their network so I could not get in.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Do you think your place of work were reading your posts on here?:eek::D

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No (they weren't smart enough), I was just using a work email which logged in automatically, once I escaped I couldn't remember the login details. Doh!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I can confirm that Shadders is alive and well. I heard a rumour that he will shortly be announcing details of an Easter meet...

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Good to hear.

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Old grey wolf was very sensible and helpful. Been retired a few years now.

I miss Cyolba's sign-offs, but whether that renders him a hero or not is up to you.

Annie_boxed_in had the best username ever, and was the sweetest poster.

Aquamarina1234 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Talking of missing / long lost posters, any news of Racroesus?

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ah, my beloved rac.

His name doesn't auto fill, I see. He appears to have been deleted.

13. monicabilongame

@racroesus - it does autofill - I just didn't use the @ last time

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Thank you. I'm an idiot!

15. monicabilongame

You? Never!

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There are a few TES posters I shared email addresses with and kept in contact with after they were disappeared. I can't think of anyone who didn't turn out to be a delight to meet in person. Although I crossed swords with Wittering on numerous occasions over his pomposity and regard for me as a complete oik for my sarirical interpretaion of his posts, we grew to become very agreeable TES companions over the PM facility, as has been the case with other posters who enjoyed being contentious on the boards, but enjoyed my contributions in ridiculing them when the occasions arose to take them down a peg or two.

Personally, I regard it as very sad when we lose posters through poor moderation. I've always taken the view that as the human species are compulsive communicators, and everyone should have the right to express their views and be heard, however valid their contributions are to a debate. Like most, I sometimes wonder what became of our lost posters and feel the forum is poorer when they are excluded from contributing, so you won't find me reporting posts.

I take the view that behind every username there is an individual who is doing more to keep us sane by participating in discussion than those who stare vacantly at their phones in supermarket aisles or constantly spend their time on dates swiping through Facebook photos of meals while their partner is bored silly while they attempt to decide what to order. They make for fascinationg observations on the state of the world we now live in as my dog and I share a pint in the corner of a pub.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    smoothnewt and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

The reference to Wittering, aka Selwyn, reminds me of a far-off period when a person posting under a large number of sock-puppet identities labelled some of us as ‘the homosexual’ lobby for objecting to homophobic comments. The play script I posted at the time features Selwyn/ Wittering who is sadly long gone from the forum and also Inky and Burndenpark who are happily still with us. I've reposted it on a new thread (Wittering/ Selwyn, Inky, Burndenpark) and already been rapped over the knuckles 'cos it's far too long for the soundbite generation to cope with. Tant pis. (Aunty spends a penny).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  18. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Yes, they were great!

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Inky was banned.

20. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Hasn't she returned under a different user name?