1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES friends

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perriwinkle, Feb 6, 2011.

1. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

May I ask a question please........without it seeming like a Billy-no-mates plea?What is the whole 'TES friends' thing?

I don't 'do' facebook etc so I'm not really fussed about it, but I just wondered if other people had lots of 'friends'? How do you know? Do you know if somebody is looking for you?

Sorry, just a random Sunday evening thought. Yes, I ought to be thinking about school next week, but I am too busy procrastinating!!!

2. perriwinkle

May I ask a question please........without it seeming like a Billy-no-mates plea?What is the whole 'TES friends' thing?

I don't 'do' facebook etc so I'm not really fussed about it, but I just wondered if other people had lots of 'friends'? How do you know? Do you know if somebody is looking for you?

Sorry, just a random Sunday evening thought. Yes, I ought to be thinking about school next week, but I am too busy procrastinating!!!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have a few people as "TES friends" from when it was first launched.
    I consider that I have a number of friends who I met via TES but who I now communicate with in other ways, and who I have met up with regularly. These people are not on my "TES friends" list.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have no TES friends.
    ...but I have several friends in real life who I "met" on TES and have either met in real life or with whom I keep in contact off the site.

5. Do you mean that personal message thing? Nothing personal to anyone but I ignore friend requests even from people I have met and liked. I've no idea what the point of it is - do they send you a card on your birthday? Feed your cat while you're away? - so just avoid it.

6. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I've pbeen posting on and off for 5 years. No TES friends but I feel I know quite a bit about some of the posters! Would love to meet a few if any Sussex posters are about!

7. perriwinkle

Thank you for replying.......I felt really daft after hitting 'post'!

Guess there's lots of us that check in just to see what's happening.

Some make me laugh, some make me cry, some are very wise......and then there are others who are just as mad as a bag of frogs, and make me shake my head in horror.

Don't feel so bad for not having any 'friends' now ;)

8. I have a few friends who I have met on TES.
    Folk who have stuck by me, through thick and thin. And I treasure them. We have shared things that were never made public here. We trust one another.
    I value them a lot.

9. perriwinkle

P.S. As crazy as some crazy frogs may seem on here - and that's a general comment, NOT aimed at anyone in particular - I saw some REAL craziness the other day........

I googled something and ended up redirected to mumsnet.
    In their defence, the article I needed was actually quite informative, but I took a little wander around, and my oh my!!!!

A whole HEAP of craziness was going on over there!! I left feeling quite sane and normal :)
    (sorry, can't make my smile very cheesy!!)

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have some very good friends on RL, who I have met through TES but who are not my friends on TES.
    If that makes sense!

11. LOL - yes, it does.

12. Mumsnet makes me fear for the future of humankind.

13. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I am!

I have met several people from here on and off over the years. I have some people listed in my Friends thing from when it was new and we were all experimenting thinking that it did something. On reflection, it seems to do nothing, and so I couldn't tell you for a second who is on my friends list, and have no intention of adding to it.

14. I don't do FB and have no TES 'friends' but there's people I've 'met' on here that I exchange e-mails with, if we want to talk about something without the publicity of a post, that I consider to be my friends, even though i've never met them!

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It is a scary place indeed!

16. there are people on here that i think i would like to meet in RL,but i am sure that I would be upset that they don't actually look like their avatars, Coffee Kid and LOTF for example.#

There is one special person i have chatted to a lot on here and will meet her when it is possible :)

17. Facebook it that: TES is something else.
    There will always be some who take things further whatever the internet connection.

18. I have met seren_dipity, chilliexx, but would still walk straight past her looking for Mary-Beth Lacey.

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I've met Middlemarch but still think of her as Cagney.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Same here! Cagney somehow fits her!