1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

TES English - Content Plan, Projects and Competitions 2011

Discussion in 'English' started by TESEnglish, Jan 31, 2011.

1. TESEnglish

TESEnglish Occasional commenter

Dear Colleagues,
    What say you?
    In response to last year's survey / the new specifications, and following on from our 2010 collections, please find below a link to our proposed content development plan and competitions / projects for this year.
    As a priority, we would really appreciate your ideas with regard to possible prizes for our forthcoming World Book Day fancy dress competition - one for each ctaegory - so please post your ideas below.
    Please review and take a moment to <u>share and post</u> your ideas, responses and feedback to this draft plan. Please also make a note of three priorities, and also any glaring omissions / elements you feel are unnecessary.
    Finally, we are hopeful that we will be able to deliver the plan (or an amended version) by the end of the year. However, we need, and are extremely keen to engage <u>you</u> and <u>your support</u> in doing so. As I am sure you will agree and appreciate, and if we work together, we will be able to deliver the content quickly - perhaps even before the end of the year? Therefore, please contact me if you would like to support, and be involved in, the TES English 2011 Content & Competition Plan.

TES English Content Plan & Competitions 2011

Yours sincerely,

Chantel Mahtias
    TES English

2. TESEnglish

Dear Colleagues,
    What say you?
    In response to last year's survey / the new specifications, and following on from our 2010 collections, please find below a link to our proposed content development plan and competitions / projects for this year.
    As a priority, we would really appreciate your ideas with regard to possible prizes for our forthcoming World Book Day fancy dress competition - one for each ctaegory - so please post your ideas below.
    Please review and take a moment to <u>share and post</u> your ideas, responses and feedback to this draft plan. Please also make a note of three priorities, and also any glaring omissions / elements you feel are unnecessary.
    Finally, we are hopeful that we will be able to deliver the plan (or an amended version) by the end of the year. However, we need, and are extremely keen to engage <u>you</u> and <u>your support</u> in doing so. As I am sure you will agree and appreciate, and if we work together, we will be able to deliver the content quickly - perhaps even before the end of the year? Therefore, please contact me if you would like to support, and be involved in, the TES English 2011 Content & Competition Plan.

TES English Content Plan & Competitions 2011

Yours sincerely,

Chantel Mahtias
    TES English

3. LizHillier

LizHillier New commenter

Hi Chantel
    This is a very exciting time for all members of TES English because not only are there an abundence of resources, there are also lots of opportunities to be part of a collaborative community. It is very reassuring in a time of great change in education and more specifically English, to have a place where we can all come and discuss the issues that are affecting us at the 'chalk-face'; I also can't wait to see what colleagues are doing with regards to events such as World Book Day; World Book Night and Ask Shakespeare (next Weds!). I remember dressing up for WBD four years ago - good fun but nightmare to teach in the costume! :) Happy days!
    Liz

4. RichardWarren

RichardWarren New commenter

Hi all
    I'm looking forward to a chance to get involved with contributing to resourcing (and, undoubtedly, kleptomaniacally pilfering others' resources) for the new Specifications; I'm sure my school's not alone in having struggled to hit the ground running in this area. I think there's a wealth of potential for collaborative working and the spreading of good ideas out there in the virtual ether: hopefully the English Resources on TES will prove the perfect arena to share and build on everyone's success, to the benefit of students (and the easing of the English teacher's burden!).
    Richard

5. ruthtammi

ruthtammi New commenter

As teachers in Further Education our students are 16 plus. The new A level specifications began in September 2008, replacing Curriculum 2000. We have been running with the new specifications and building resources as we go rather effectively adapting material from the old specs and writing brand new materials too. I'm really looking forward to sharing the resources we have made in our department and looking forward also to approaches and resources other people have created.
    World Book Day here in college is presented as an opportunity for students to bring any writing they have particularly enjoyed and share with others. A mature student read some Dickens last year and it was superb. Two months previously she hadn't even dared ro read in class, so at the age of 51 she found her reading voice. Though it is so blindingly obvious I do think book tokens are a great gift...
    Ruth

6. BethMitchell

BethMitchell New commenter

As KS4 Co-ordinator, I am especially looking forward to seeing the resources related to the new specification. (Chantel has already posted some fab spoken language study resources, in case you were looking!) Unfortunately, we switched from WJEC to Edexcel this year, so I'm sad to see it's not represented on the content plan; however, I know there is cross-over with the boards, so I'm sure I'll be able to pinch and pilfer every resource out there.

Ahh, WBD. Can't wait! Last year the English faculty dressed up as characters from 'Holes.' All you need are some orange boiler suits and away you go! I don't think we were worthy of a prize, but if I'm sure we would have appreciated book tokens, Amazon or itunes vouchers. (Did you know you can buy audio books on itunes?)

Despite all the doom and gloom out there, I think this will be a prosperous year for TES English!

7. MrsEvansJones

MrsEvansJones New commenter

Fabulously comprehensive!! We're going to be busy!!

I think the new GCSE spec resources are going to be the most popular for quite some time to come!! It would be fabulous to be able to cover at least the most popular texts for each exam board, even if it's not the same detail as planned for AQA.

8. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Where to begin?? An overwhelmingly exciting list of things to do - if only we could all give up our day jobs and sit around planning lesson resources...I'm really looking forward to developing a range of resources to get students looking at poetry for themselves and maybe even beginning to enjoy it! Chantel and the team have made a great start with their work on two of the AQA clusters but there is much more to do and I hope to be involved in it. What I really want to do is organise a poetry competition to be judged by George Clooney! I'm sure we can justify that [​IMG]

9. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

I'd love to add to Beth's idea about vouchers....we use several novels which are available on Amazon's "Audible" site. I've spent money downloading texts which I feel are better read by a professional, but it's come out of my own money. Could such a mammoth organisation be approached on a lowly teacher(s) behalf??

10. TESEnglish

Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm. Sincerely, it's
    uplifting. [​IMG]

I will be in touch again tomorrow. In the
    meantime, I thought you'd all like to see this:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/worldbookday

1. Fancy dress competition for primary and secondary pupils - and
    teachers!
    2. For teachers, a literature-based teaching resource
    competition. The winning entry will receive an Apple iPad.
    3. A
    collection of teaching resources, games, worksheets and activities to
    celebrate World Book Day.

Best wishes,

Chantel

11. LizHillier

LizHillier New commenter

Hi all
    Just to 'put it out there', I have a real interest in promoting the needs of the dyslexic student in the mainstream classroom. I have taught for some time but it wasn't until my recent break on my maternity leave that I finally realised the plight of the dyslexic student in a classroom full of pupils who do not have dyslexia. I have been tutoring a Year 8 child who is in a mixed ability class and by putting myself in their position it has become very clear that over the past 9 years, I have only ever highlighted these pupils as being on the SEN register in my teacher planner without ever really knowing what I can do to support them.
    Interestingly, now I am back at work, I am working with a number of pupils who are C/D borderline for English. Even though there is only one pupil in the group who is dyslexuc, all are benefiting from the study skills sessions and skills-based approach that are vital for a dyslexic-friendly classroom; indeed, someone said to me recently that a good lesson is a 'dyslexic friendly' lesson. As with literacy across the curriculum, awareness of these approaches would be valuable to all colleagues in a school.
    Currently, I am undertaking a number of courses with Dyslexia Action and the British Dyslexia Association which focuses on how we can support our students in a mainstream setting. I am conducting case studies and developing a number of resources that would help colleagues recognise that it is the simple things that we can do in a lesson which would make all the difference and that actually, <u>all</u> pupils can benefit from this approach.
    I have seen that 'dyslexia' is on Chantel's plan and if anyone is interested in joining me and my plight! please get in touch. It would be interesting, to begin with, to see what provision is made for pupils in mainstream settings in your schools.
    Many thanks

Liz[​IMG]

12. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

Hi all.
    I've "volunteered" to look after some of the creative writing work. Let's be clear, though - creative writing is, by its very nature, creative, and good creative writing teaching will not be bound by examination board requirements or test papers: so there's no difference between teaching creative writing for the "Creative Writing WJEC", "Creative Writing AQA" and "Standard Grade Creative Writing" - just thought I'd fly the flag for us in Scotland, who do have a different system, you know! Teach children how to write creatively, let them be creative and then watch them pass any test thrown at them, I say!
    Creative writing for exams is difficult, since "be creative in the next hour" is one of the most oxymoronic statements in the English language (apologies to pedants who don't believe that is, technically speaking, an oxymoron!). However, it can be done if we're prepared to change the way we think about tackling writing, commit to building a writing habit and encourage the development of content and skills that can be used in exams. Anyone who would like to collaborate on this, let me know.
    Some of my thoughts:
    http://strathprints.strath.ac.uk/13291/
    Look forward to working with you!

13. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I'm really interested in, and passionate about, reading and its importance across all subjects and in life generally. So, I'd like to collect some ideas/strategies/techniques etc from all that expertise out there about how you try to develop reading habits, reading speed, reading proficiency, reading skills and readiing enjoyment! etc etc. I would like to collate all this into some kind of package aimed at helping those students who don't like reading, don't understand the complex nature of the reading skills required in English exams and therefore struggle to succeed. I have a technique which I've developed during my teaching, which I have demonstrated in CPD sessions to a couple of English departments (in schools other than where I work) and it has generated considerable interest. On that basis, I feel it may be worth sharing with a wider audience to gauge other responses and maybe get people to trial it in their own classrooms. This might prove a useful starting point.
    I'd also be willing to take responsibility for working on one of the outstanding AQA Poetry clusters but I think the above is my priority.
    On a more mundane level, if there is any interest in an "All Things AQA" forum, I'd be happy to monitor and advise on that as I do quite a lot of this already in the community.
    We do live in interesting times!

14. LBeardmore

LBeardmore New commenter

Hi all,

Am really looking forward to taking an active role in looking at English and SEN - especially for EBD pupils. Will be uploading lots of resources over next few weeks that I urge you to use, comment upon and share. Leanne B

15. ajwebster

ajwebster Administrator

I am very interested to see everybody's areas of interest and how we might be able to collaborate. My school is currently teaching iGCSE so I would certainly be interested in developing resources and ideas for this (many of which would no doubt be of use for other specifications as well). Also I felt that A-Level seems somewhat under-represented on the plan which is hopefully something that can be addressed. I think good resources for this level of study can be hard to find and it would be useful for people to share ideas of good practise. I think that there are some great ideas for articles which would benefit from feedback from as much of the community as possible. Looking forward to getting started!

16. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am really looking forward to working with other people on this site to move TES forward. I am particularly interested in the teaching of Speaking and Listening within the curriculum and look forward to developing resources and ideas for this section of the spec.

17. The TES panel could be groundbreaking: if it brings great resources which work in the classroom, and inspires other teachers to contribute ideas as well, then it could be a very welcome addition to a growing number of Web 2.0 resources currently available.
    The difference here, though, is that the TES acts as an incomparable 'centre of gravity' for the teaching profession: it's a trusted, fixed point which everyone reads and uses. It will build on that vital, longheld, relationship. And if it can grow as a place to exchange thoughts, ideas, approaches, as well as provide a route through a sometimes overwhelming amount of information, then it will provide a valuable additional service to staff from working in widely different contexts.
    Teachers, unlike any other profession I have encountered, are generous with their time and ideas, and if something works in class they are keen to spread that to others. I hope this promotes this still further.

18. Hi Chantel et al
    I too am really looking forward to ofeering and borrowing resources. Obviously working in an 11-16 school, the new GCSE specs means there's a need for a whole load of new ideas - particularly mastering Controlled Assessments. I do hope though (having taught the subject for more years than I care to think about and having seen "new" initiatives re-appear cyclically) that there will still be room for fun and interesting English - not just that driven by National Curriculum demands or exams. I'm going to add quite a few of my own shortly - games, puzzles, problems that just make pupils think about our subject - and enjoy it!

19. The plan is pretty ambitious and wide-ranging, but has very little A-Level stuff. I've added A Level Language as an area that needs some attention. It would be really helpful to be able to easily find A Level Language resources. At the moment, post-16 Language throws up lots of basic spelling and punctuation worksheets as well as a few helpful nuggets on Language skills and content. I don't know how this could be achieved, but I think it would greatly improve the usability of TES Resources for those of us in post-16 contexts teaching Language, which is often an area that teachers feel a need for support with.

20. MrsEvansJones

MrsEvansJones New commenter

Hi all,

Although the FB profile is on hold, I'm still willing to head that up when its decided exactly what format etc that is going to take. Social networking is something I am always more than happy to be involved with and I'm already trying to promote this to my cohort and around the PGCE and NQT Twitter network.

I am currently teaching the OCR 2010 GCSE so I can't head up any of the groups, but am more than willing to contribute whatever resources and ideas I have that are appropriate. What I would like to take responsibility for, if it's not already spoken for is the SPD section (Super Starters, Perfect Plenaries and Dapper Drama) as this is something I know, both firsthand and from colleagues that this is something that they always look for on TES but sometimes struggle to find. If it would be ok, I think a thread for each of the three areas would work best.

Really excited to be part of this :)
    Mrs LEJ