1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Education Secretary Board Agenda

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Aug 14, 2020.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

If we collectively ran UK education what would we do? This idea has its origins in another recent thread from which I'm getting modular GCE's, I'm not sure how modular or how that would work but I'm sure someone will pop along to explain shortly... and/or bring back AS exams... please feel free to add to the agenda items for the first meeting... date & time TBA.

2. needabreak

The thread title should probably read "Board Meeting Agenda".

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'll make the coffee and brush the floor.

I'll come in early and clear off home before anyone else arrives. The floor will be clean and I'll leave the coffee in a flask.

It's the big windows. I don't like the light.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Get rid of:
    - KS2 SATs (and the league tables thus generated);
    - academies & free school.

Restructure:
    - Ofsted;
    - the NC.

That'll do for starters.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Get rid of Ofsted

Get rid of MATs, academies and free schools

Implement a proper pay scale again

Promote much more vocational education

6. install

install Star commenter

Get rid of KS2 Exams / League Tables / Ofsted in its current form

Regulate schools so that all HTs/SLT actually teach at least one full day a week

Open up the top of the pay spine of all classroom teachers so that it at least reaches £5000 below the pay of Deputy Heads

Introduce Overtime pay for teachers when they work beyond their allocation

Bring UK Summer holidays in line with other countries in Europe ( eg 8 -10 wks)

Get rid of Performance Management

Bring in exclusions without fines for schools or fear of inspections

Make children (not teachers) accountable for their poor behaviour

Have a whole country wide curriculum that is already planned out upfront with national schemes of work and provides a consistent approach

Get rid of private schools and igcses

Reduce pollution and improve communities by ensuring that children go to local schools in their area

Get rid of CEOs and Exec Heads

Get rid of Unconditional offers from Universities

Reduce the cost of a degree

Allow children to leave school at 16 should they so choose and then to do a form of paid National Service ( eg in the NHS)

Increase funding for SEN students

Ensure the Education Secretary has come from a teaching background

7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Pay the cleaners more money than the teachers.

Pay the person making the coffee more money than the teachers.

8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Generally brilliant ideas-but the local schools one I'm not so sure about, as many working parents rely on the grandparents for childcare, so they deliberately pick a school near them, especially if they can't drive. Also, while everyone in my family went to state schools, and I (mainly) taught in them, I wouldn't want to remove the choice, plus it saves a lot of money for poorer pupils.
    While I wouldn't complain about your longer holidays idea, I'd prefer that lunchbreaks were made mandatory, and return to the days when departments would meet for a meal in the pub (I'm assuming Covid has gone, in my plans) at least once a week. People really were happier, which can only b a good thing for the students.

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's interesting to see how many of the suggestions would bring state schools closer in nature to most independent schools - no Ofsted, no NC, proper pay scale, longer summer holidays, get rid of CEOs and Exec Heads, Make children (not teachers) accountable for their poor behaviour. ;)

agathamorse and needabreak like this.
  10. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Install said: "Allow children to leave school at 16 should they so choose and then to do a form of paid National Service ( eg in the NHS)"
    Surely if they have a job or a place at a college, eg Tech college, then good, but disruptive pupils should not be allowed to disrupt the lessons for those who wish to learn.
    Britain seems to have the shortest summer holidays of any country, in Russia and the former Soviet states, schools close on 31st May and re-open 1st Sept, I have taught at Summer school every year since 1977, missed it so much this year,

agathamorse, needabreak and install like this.
  11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Get rid of OFSTED or modify its function/focus to be a consultancy service
    OFSTED every 3 years or on request
    Re-evaluate NC and reduce
    Maximum number limit of GCSEs per pupil
    Introduce more vocational courses
    Introduce life skills courses
    Introduce apprentice type placements for less academically gifted
    Standard 45 hours pw contract
    Optional additional 10 hours per week paid overtime
    Per Deum payments for residential trips
    If allocated work can’t reasonably be done within 55 hours, senior managers reduce delegated workload of teachers
    Paid parents evenings
    PE is changed to physical and health education with greater focus on physical exercise than formal traditional sports (no unicycling or circus skills)
    Pupils AND parents responsible for behaviour and academic performance
    Get rid of MATs and overpaid managers
    Standardised pay scales with higher upper pay limit for class teachers
    All managers do at least one day teaching per week
    Education Minister must have educational experience

12. install

install Star commenter

Fair point

13. install

install Star commenter

Indeed the Gvt seems keen to continue the pro-rich and anti-poor approach not just with exam grades but with other parts to.

That’s why I think private schools should be banned. They have had it easy for too long.

14. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Oh yes, free counselling and mental health services for teachers, provided by schools.
    Severe mental health issues, related to working in schools, to be recognised as a work/industrial ‘injury’

15. install

install Star commenter

Agree - the National Service would be an option. The Summer Holidays, yes the UK’s needs to be extended in line with many other countries in Europe.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There was a time when all schools were like this. Then state schools were forced to change while private schools weren't. I wonder how much of it is deliberate to keep state costs down, not having to finance the education of those extra pupils and also to avoid the pushy private parents in positions of power who could make things very uncomfortable if they started to notice what happened in the state sector.

agathamorse, install and needabreak like this.
  17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

First Item

Me as Chairman.

Second Item

All other Boards members to move to secretarial duties.

Meeting closed.

ajrowing likes this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

Private schools are the elephant in the room for many reasons. Igcses and recent biased grading is just the tip of the iceberg.

19. needabreak

You're bound to have some opposition to that Rac.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Despite 65 million years ago there are still dinosaurs.

ajrowing likes this.