1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES: could we have subthreads please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eureka!, Oct 14, 2015.

?

Would it be a Good Thing to have subthreads on TES?

1. Yes, why not?!

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. vaguely in favour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. neutral, but interested

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. vaguely against

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. hell no!

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  6. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Then the Art Thread WAT, for example, could have one subthread per poster to show the three works of art chosen by each poster. Answers to guesses can be saved for longer as posters can easily see to join in - games will last much longer and be more satisfying.

It would be very open to creativity, I'm sure!

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Do you mean like on FB, eury?

3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Don't know the place so well sorry Kibs. But I would be happy with no subthreads of subthreads...

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

It would be good for the art thread I'm sure.

I have avoided posting on it, because I find it a bit confusing to follow.

(Having said that, I got the hang of the music thread.............eventually)

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hmm, I doubt very much TES could include subthreads (even if they wanted to) . . the scripting would cost far too much . . .and they've just forked out for this redesign

6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

But what do YOU think Kibs? BTW one can change one's vote in this poll....

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Er, I have no idea what this means but sounds interesting.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm not sure. It may well create an additional layer of complexity for people who like, and perhaps, need the site to be simple. Can you give us a link to a website that contains the type of subthreads you have in mind?

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

and no Kibs, not offhand....

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

An example would be good . . it would show people who are intrigued by the idea, but not sure how it works in practice . . .I'll see if I can find one, but don't hold your breath :)

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The subthreads could only be made by the OP, perhaps?

13. grumpydogwoman

Yes, an example. Because I don't know what is meant by a 'subthread'.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Can't find an example, sorry, but subthreads exist on FB. Basically it's a child thread (or many children) that spawn from a parent thread. Tbh, eury, I don't think TES needs this . . .surely folk have the common sense just to open a new tab for each page of a 'complex' thread . . . .

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Oh God No.
    This place just got simpler (and could have been simpler still as there are many forums which could have been lumped together) and I will counsel against any attempt to complicate it.

lindenlea likes this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There's a child forum on the Authors' Forum already for resource sellers.

17. grumpydogwoman

*sneaks off as it hadn't occurred to me to open a new tab - thus making me a Dozy Dora*

cissy3 and kibosh like this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think it's probably a thread about submarines, which as everyone should know, have lower rank than the marines.

kibosh likes this.
  19. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

From my extended (and somewhat enforced ) study of the existing facilities on here I believe that something similar is already possible without re-scripting by using a combination of ordinary messages linked by multiple permalinks on every primary image message (to collate the offerings of each posters choices) and single permalinks on every guess by others (to link to the image in question)
    If a technophobe like me can work that out I'm sure some of those with more highly developed technical skills could come up with a better system

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  20. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter