1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES Community media stories

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

A number of us have often suspected that the media take the tone & content of some of their educational stories from these fora. Does anyone have an example? Here is one to kick things off:

A-level class used Lego people to learn about Hitler: 'Dumbing down' row after pupils at highly rated secondary used toy to discuss myths about the tyrant

'There was further criticism from fellow teachers on the TES forum, with one dismissing the lesson as ‘anti-intellectual nonsense’.

One said: ‘I don’t believe such a lightweight exercise delivered through such as trivial, jokey medium would prompt any serious thought or insight into Hitler or propaganda.’

Another mocked Mr West’s ‘fancy’ title - Leadership Secondment for Learning Experience – and said it was ‘worrying’ that he believed ‘getting 6th formers to play with lego is a valid teaching strategy’.

And they said: ‘I encounter a lot of younger colleagues who appear to believe that a productive lesson somehow involves entertainment. It’s an attitude usually accompanied by the almost constant use of the words guys and bud.’
    '

(DailyMail.co.uk, 27th December 2014,)

I'm quoted above as 'they'. The now unavailable thread, begun by @DM I believe, was called 'Why is Hitler waving to a cat?'. You can still find the original blog entry here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I haven't suspected any such thing
    I know it to be true as I have seen TES forum comments used quite a lot by various media agencies.
    I sometimes wish they took more interest in the serious commentaries on education, the teaching experience and how badly various govts have abused education but I can't expect miracles

NarnianRoyalty likes this.
  3. DM

DM New commenter

You have a good memory Vince. I didn't even remember being involved with that thread until you provided the title.

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Oh well, take heart. At least they didn't quote anything about kittens from Personal.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

This time anyway

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I would hope that this forum is used to provide copy for the media to use. There is a lot of fluff and guff here, but if anyone looks a bit deeper, there is clear evidence of the dreadful condition and utterly low morale of the state education system.

The Nasty party with the ever present help of their gutter press pals clearly have an open agenda to destroy state education, -- and they are getting away with it. Where else can you find the Horses Mouth, other than this forum?

However, and sadly, Vince's OP is exactly an example of what the gutter media are doing. The criticism of the A level history lesson resource taken up by the Daily Mail (spit) is simply used to have a go at ridiculing the teaching profession. Of course there may be debates about lesson resources and strategies here, and why not? It is such a pity that we can not use the forum for the purpose of discussing how we do our jobs without them being used as an excuse to put us down.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Maybe we should start a thread on acceptable and unacceptable kitten names and what they say about the owner, I've never met a nice Tiddles.

ejclibrarian likes this.