1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TES adverts

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by missyhiggy, Mar 25, 2016.

1. missyhiggy

missyhiggy New commenter

I'm currently searching different agencies and the TES for international jobs abroad. Can anyone explain why all of the TES adverts state lots of job detail but not salary...not even a salary range? Do I really have to apply for a job or contact schools independently because they don't advertise pay? Regards

2. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

i suppose you could always email them and ask them for their salary range. I prefer to see the salary range as well but a lot of times they won;t discuss salary until you get an interview. Which country were you thinking of applying to?

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I have no idea why, and it is annoying. Search associates give a salary amount, savings potential, and detailed information of what is included in the package. It makes no sense why TES wont do this, and i do know quite a lot of International schools that dont advertise on here, probably not only for his reason, admittedly.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

It is pretty much par for the course. You are right in that you will have to spend time applying and even interviewing before salary is given in many cases.
    I have heard of people even getting as far as being offered the job and when told the salary, withdrawing. Literally a waste of everybody's time.
    I think in many instances, schools think that, once they have got you at interview, they will 'sell' the package to you.

5. missyhiggy

missyhiggy New commenter

thankyou for this. it's really useful to know I am right but it would save an awful lot of time IF they state the salary too. it would definitely make a difference as to whether I would move forward with the application. thanks again

6. missyhiggy

missyhiggy New commenter

thankyou for your response. the problem is, I am open to any country as I have dependents and although it's not all about the money, it is definitely important to me/us. a lot of time could be saved, that's all. thanks

7. missyhiggy

missyhiggy New commenter

thankyou. crazy and time consuming and if I'm honest, as I have dependents, the salary is an important part of the package. thanks

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I was wondering where this thread was heading. Any there we have it...

IAMBOG likes this.
  9. musikteech

I have found sometimes that recruiters can get you in a job where a direct application will have no response. This happened to me recently when a recruiter in Edinburgh introduced me to a Saudi employer and got me the interview. Sometimes recruiters can be the best way of getting a job

10. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

The salary thing is a pain - last time I was looking, I was being pressured by a school in Spain to fly over for interview (wasn't living in Europe at the time - so even though they would pay flight but not accommodation it was going to be at least 3 days out). I wouldn't go until they told me the basic salary range, which they were reluctant to do. Once they did, I understood their reluctance and although they assured me that it was sufficient, their initial reluctance to tell me only sealed my feelings that it wasn't - didn't go for interview.

11. musikteech

I'm surprised they were going to pay your airfare to fly over for an interview.

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I had a similar kind of situation where a school gave me the salary and package details for a job, but there were no real pictures of the school itself, or the sports facilities (described as 'front and back astro' and 'multi purpose hall') - I went there for a PE job.
    When I arrived in country, we were treated to our first night in the Hilton (yes the Hilton) and taken to the school on day 2 to see it for the first time. I soon realised why we hadn't been shown pictures. You can probably guess the rest.

However, to be fair, I had a great experience at the school and worked with a great bunch of people and some fantastic pupils.

zdaea likes this.
  13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Salaries in most Profit before Education establishments are an Official Secrete and in some schools you are forbidden(under threat of termination of contract) to discuss your pay and conditions with other staff. This is because favourites of the SMT get paid more and the Principal gets a cut of any savings they make in pay and school expenditure(sad but oh so true).

I do know of an instances where one member of staff as HoD of a large department with all the work and worries involved been paid less than a House Captain who only had to arrange a pop quiz once a year. The old lags on this forum will know why this was the case and continue to be the normal state of affairs for many years to come.

It also causes much resentment in the staffroom when the salary of some staff become public knowledge and others can compare this with their merger reward for life at the chalk face.

It is a pointer to a good school organization if they do publish their pay scale unusually to be found hidden away in a web page with other conditions of contract.

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The head of my first overseas school, in Kenya, was rather vague about the salary. Actually it was pretty blooming awful, when converted into sterling. Ho hum. Those two years were great fun and some things are beyond price: swimming in the Indian Ocean, going on safari and writing one's end-of-term reports to the distant sound of hyenas yowling in Nairobi National Park. (Sigh)

15. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

There are also schools where the salary structure is a little illogical.
    One school I worked at put you in the middle of the 6 point salary scale regardless of your experience. This meant that, although I was HoD and received a responsibility allowance I earned less than my second in department and a mainscale teacher in the department (with 14 years LESS experience than me). It took me 3 years to 'catch up' with them.

16. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

I understand the importance of finding the right school and package when you have dependents. I have been shortlisted in previous schools and they have always asked 'What will your husband do if you accept a role here?' prior to even having the interview experience. I suppose they want to save themselves the time and effort if you can't afford to live on your salary in the place you're going to. I've had Principals being quite direct about the fact that it wouldn't be possible/desirable and have had to decline opportunities. It wouldn't be the first question I'd ask a potential school, but I think they would be surprised if you didn't bring it up at all.

Some schools have also been a bit dishonest at interview and when contracts have come through, there are discrepancies. I am glad I waited for a job that seemed to 'tick all the boxes' - turned down quite a few in the meantime, though! Sometimes it wasn't even the package, but whether the school was going to suit the kids or not. Tends to limit where you wish to apply, but if it's meant to be, it will happen.

All the best for your IE journey!

zdaea likes this.
  17. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

missyhiggy - also remember that you have to look at the package as a whole - what looks like a rubbish salary on paper can actually be very good if your living costs are low (free accommodation, low cost of living, 100% fee remission for your children etc...) Good schools also tend to ask about your current salary and ensure you are on a comparable starting point.