1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Terror Threat raised

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Sep 15, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I am starting to want to run away and hide in a Scottish Bothy. I have had enough of these terrorist attacks. What really gets to me is that I know by Monday, the rumours of it being fake news will be rife. Take me away from here.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That is the purpose of the attacks.

Join me in a walk around public places.

3. delmamerchant

Noooooo. I just cannot bear it. I am starting to hate London.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You have two choices. Live your life or live in fear. If you choose to live in fear there will come a day when you will not even have the confidence to cross the road.

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Running away is letting the terrorists win, I applaud the way the French took to the streets after the attacks in Paris sending a huge "V"s up to the terrorists.

However I would like to run off and live in the Highlands too, but that has got nothing to do with terrorism..

kibosh, install, Laphroig and 2 others like this.
  6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Back to the seventies/eighties threat levels.

7. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Government and Media trot out this 'We won't let them win,' phrase. But they are. They are killing and injuring people. That phrase has no clout or proof to it.
    They have won, as they have devastated lives.

8. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

They have devastated lives but they haven't won. Winning would be us changing our way of life. They want us in a state of fear but anything could kill us at any time as we go about our daily lives.

This is not to belittle anyone's fears, at all.

I lived in London during the 70s and the IRA bombings. It was a different time, granted, but people seem to have felt less threatened. Comparing the language used to report these outrages makes me wonder whether this is one factor in our response today. A homemade bomb sounds less threatening than an IED, for instance.

Anyway, they haven't won. They won't win, whatever that means to these kind of people.

I don't intend to belittle anyone's concerns but this puts things in perspective for me. Maybe it's a generational response?

wanet, nomad and install like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Never never ever ever give in to terrorists :cool:

Laphroig, nomad and colpee like this.
  10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

The key difference being that back in the 70s / 80s the IRA usually gave a warning so that places had time to evacuate.
    No such consideration on the part of the Islamists.

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't, sometimes there was a bomb, sometimes there was not, and sometimes the bomb 'warnings' were deliberately misleading to the extend of catching people evacuating from or responding to the threat.

Laphroig and install like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

Terrorists are terrorists - there is no difference :cool:

nomad likes this.
  13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

A sensible move, to run away to Scotland when terrorists are on the prowl. When Islamic terrorists (can I say/think this) attacked Glasgow Airport, the Glaswegians attacked them and gave them a right pasting, even though they were badly injured and one was on fire.
    This is a far better deterrent than armed police officers on the streets, searching for invisible assassins.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Glasgow_Airport_attack
    [​IMG]

Laphroig, nomad and emerald52 like this.
  14. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Surely we all have to go about our business as usual but we must keep our eyes and ears open. A lesson to be learned here for all those who walk round with their eyes and noses on their mobiles! FWIW I intend to travel today on that same Wimbledon branch of the District line that was bombed yesterday.

15. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

There are 60 - 70 million people in the UK. The chances of being caught up in an event are so incredibly slim as to be minute. They haven't won and haven't really disrupted life in the UK too much.

Life goes on. It went on in WW2 when bombs killed 100s every single day. People shop, schools open, concerts go ahead, sports go on.....

emerald52, InkyP, wanet and 3 others like this.
  16. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

The nail bomber in London in the 1990s didn't give any warning. He was an angry young man who just wanted to murder people who he didn't like.

The man who drove his van into a crowd of Muslims didn't give any notice. He was an angry man who just wanted to murder people he didn't like.

There are terrorists who give warnings. And there are terrorists who don't give warnings.

emerald52, InkyP, wanet and 2 others like this.
  17. delmamerchant

the difference between this and the IRA is that - If I recall correctly- we got warnings most of the time - and they had a cause that was specific. I did not get the feeling as I do now that they were living amongst us and hating us at the same time.

18. delmamerchant

For me they have won as I am terrified.

19. delmamerchant

I am listening to LBC and the focus of the conversation is would we want our lives to become controlled, more CCTV, more armed police, metal detectors as this is changing our way of life. Some people have lost their lives due to these terrorist attacks - if these extra procedures are going to change our lives for the better and save lives then yes, bring on the metal detectors, not trigger happy police, and CCTV.

20. delmamerchant

This is no comparison to WW2 we were at war, quite distinctly. I do not think that your statistics would comfort those whom have lost their lives this year due to terrorist attacks - I know you were trying to offer some comfort, thank you.