1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

terrified to start trying

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by JWTBH, May 5, 2011.

1. JWTBH

JWTBH New commenter

Hi
    I've been following the threads here for a while and am finally plucking up the courage to add a topic. I'm hoping to just get some stuff off my chest I think.
    I'm nearly 30 and my partner and I have just discussed starting to try for a baby. The thing is, and I know this is awful, I've actually been very, very lax with my contraception for 2 years. I know this may sound ridiculous but i'm now terrified to start trying because I don't think it's going to happen easily. My partner knows that we've been terrible with contraception for a long time but doesn't seem to understand how hard it is to get pregnant. It worries me that in 2 years, I've never had a pregnancy despite the fact that many times, we have had unprotected sex halfway through my cycle.
    I don't want to come across as ignorant, careless or stupid. I've been in a committed relationship for a long time and have always wanted kids. If it had happened by now, we would have been happy. But it hasn't, and now my boyfriend wants it to happen. I already feel as if I know it's going to be hard and I don't want to be a disappointment to him and to myself. I know this sounds very self-indulgent but...I don't have anyone else to say it to.
    I'm not sure what I'm looking for in terms of a response but would be grateful for any wise words.

Thank you