1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Terrified, pregnant, first baby, new job and only SMP applies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by dogcat, Nov 16, 2015.

1. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

So after 7months I am pregnant, start a new job in January and get no continuous service. I'd be due mid-end July depending on how many weeks I am, so I'd only have been in the role 6 months before having to go off. I can save save save between now and then and we have some savings already.

I am so scared! Scared of miscarrying, scared of having baby, can't believe I fell pregnant around the time I accepted the job. If I was staying put I would have 4 months or so before SMP applied.

Sitting in shock waiting for husband to come home from work. Any advice welcome!!!

2. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

I know that this is a very anxious time and really appreciate everything you are feeling. However, I also wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! After seven months of trying, how lovely that you are now pregnant :) I have my fingers crossed that everything works out for you.

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Hi, you will be fine. I left it until I was 34 to have my first baby after spending my whole adult life in fear of babies and childbirth. Did a Hypnobirthing course near the middle/end of my pregnancy and all went amazingly well. Short, easy birth resulting in gorgeous baby girl 9lb 6oz. I'm going to do it all again soon as I'm now 34 weeks pregnant with a son. I even had an early miscarriage before this pregnancy and coped fine with that too. 1 in 4 pregnancies will go that way and that's just how it is. It's natures way of saying that something isn't right with baby, not necessarily you.

Do what you say, save, save, save. Work will carry on and things will somehow fall into place. Try to enjoy your new adventure and have fun planning for your new baby. Worries and anxieties are very normal, and part of preparing you to be responsible for another life.

Deep breath, be brave, you will be fine xxx

4. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Thanks guys, just want to get to the 12 week scan, then it will feel more real! Just hope I make to that point, keep reading horror stories!

5. lilirenton

lilirenton New commenter

congratulations! you'll be fine; things do work out fine in the end!
    I had my first child earlier this year, and am 37 years old :)
    I can understand the fears and anxieties- all normal. Best to be in the present moment, look after yourself and trust. x x