1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Terrified of not having contract renewed

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by discorockopera, Mar 28, 2016.

1. discorockopera

discorockopera New commenter

I am a FYT that goes to two schools. My evaluation was not at my 'home school' but I got a really great evaluation. I survived being pink slipped but now I'm panicking about not having my contract renewed. I haven't been reprimanded about anything at work but since I have a history of depression and anxiety, I am super worried of not having my contract renewed for reasons I don't know. I have only shown up late 3 times and I called to let them know each time- but it was not late enough that I missed instructional time, just the first 10 minutes of my contract. I do what I'm supposed to do, but I am so scared of losing my job. Should I be worried?

2. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

I can't give you practical advice as I'm not a Senior Leader or have anything to contracts. But I will say that we seem to be quite similar. We worry about things almost needlessly. My biggest piece of advice is to put this out of your head as best you can. The more you worry about it, the more it's going to effect your work.

You got very good feedback. If the school was unhappy about you being late, you would have been spoken to about it. I would not even worry about being late at all, as it sounds like you still completed all of your teaching time.

I know it's easy for me to say 'don't worry', but it is the only thing I would recommend as unhelpful as it. If it would make you feel better organise a meeting with your line manager to discuss how you're doing and just see if there is anything the schools would be interested in you introducing into your practise.

I'm assuming you're from the UK, so I'm a little worried that you posted this at 4:21AM this morning. If you're having trouble sleeping, maybe you should go to your GP and see if they can help you at all.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

From the wording and the use of pink slip then I don't think this is a UK posting

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If it were UK, it would be 'NQT' - I had to google 'FYT'. But you need to speak to your line manager and see what the situation is. I'm afraid that the school may not necessarily have taken up the lateness issue if there was a problem with that - if the contract isn't going to be renewed then their perspective may be that there is no point in going to the trouble of tackling issues.