1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Terrified of going into supply (primary)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Ferreros, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Ferreros

Ferreros New commenter

Hi all,

I've been out of formal classroom teaching for around 7 years and in this time I have had various jobs, always working with children, including running museum education workshops. I have recently relocated to the North-East and I'm not enjoying my current job so looking to get out. From having a look at numerous jobsites there aren't many jobs that I would be able to do, or that would financially support me. This leaves me with the option of supply teaching - which terrifies me. I think the main issue is that I know I am not an amazing, all singing, all dancing, teacher. I got by in my class as, back then, a satisfactory teacher (with good elements). I'm worried that I won't be able to deliver what the plans ask for - my maths and science are pretty good but I'm let down with my English. Looking at what the curriculum expects primary aged children to learn now is, in my opinion ridiculous; I can't imagine myself being able to teach SPaG very well!

Is there any advice the collective could give - any tips or reassurances?

Thanks.

2. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

You might find it difficult to get back into teaching straight away after a seven year break. Things change a lot in schools with "new" schemes and ideas becoming popular all the time. (Actually they are usually just old ones rehashed and given an important new name but SLT will not admit that ;)).

But what you could do is register for TA work initially, the pay will not be great but it will help bring you up to date with the latest fads, I mean initiatives. .

3. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

I thoroughly agree with absdSTEM above. You will find that finding, and doing, supply teaching is very difficult indeed. Primary supply I am reliably told is often difficult to find, as TAs and LSAs are brought in to cover instead due to funding issues (I am told this by an agency). Ease yourself in gently as absdSTEM suggests by doing TA work first. The school might well then recognise your status as a teacher and ask you to cover eg PPA or similar on a part-time basis first.

I would counsel the most extreme caution in giving up a permanent job for supply work as if you do not find something immediately and keep it, you can find yourself without work for several weeks.

Another factor is that there is a tangible decline in the quality of behaviour in schools generally, and increasingly this applies to primary as well.

Why not try to find a role which is similar to the one you left before you moved? Perhaps send out some speculative letters? You may well find it easier to make a transition to a similar, non-school job and have the references and experience to back you up.

agathamorse and Ferreros like this.
  4. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

After 7 years out you'll probably find yourself encountering the same ideas coming round again!

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Be fair, sometimes it takes 20 years...

And I’m not sure all graduate, fully qualified, paid to scale teaching will be back any time soon...

agathamorse and BetterNow like this.
  6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Good luck, Ellenlilymay. I had a huge career break. It took me a few years to get established again. I haven’t had much work this year but I think partly because I have been turning down long term roles.

Day to day Supply is becoming extinct due to Cover Supervisor/HLTA....

agathamorse likes this.