1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Terrified Interviewee-help please!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by a99ankou, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I have an interview coming up for a school for children with PMLD/SLD/ASD and as part of the interview I will be teaching a literacy lesson for a class ranging from level p3-1a.
    I have a background in special needs, but have been in mainstream recently. I am confident in teaching children with this range, when they are children I know! However, the thought of going into a class I know nothing about, have never met before and don't know how the school works, is terrifying me! I don't know where to start to create a lesson of this kind, as all of what I do is so child-centered and individual, I am not sure how to plan for unknown pupils.
    Please, any advice would be so appreciated, as I am desperate for the job - if I could have designed my perfect job/school it would look very similar to this 1!
    Thank you in advance - help might let me have some sleep between now and interview, as I'm so nervous I can't think of anything else at the moment!

2. Hello,
    I have an interview coming up for a school for children with PMLD/SLD/ASD and as part of the interview I will be teaching a literacy lesson for a class ranging from level p3-1a.
    I have a background in special needs, but have been in mainstream recently. I am confident in teaching children with this range, when they are children I know! However, the thought of going into a class I know nothing about, have never met before and don't know how the school works, is terrifying me! I don't know where to start to create a lesson of this kind, as all of what I do is so child-centered and individual, I am not sure how to plan for unknown pupils.
    Please, any advice would be so appreciated, as I am desperate for the job - if I could have designed my perfect job/school it would look very similar to this 1!
    Thank you in advance - help might let me have some sleep between now and interview, as I'm so nervous I can't think of anything else at the moment!

3. Please don't be disappointed that the first response you get is from someone who doesn't teach pupils below P8 but, from what I've seen in my school (we do have pupils at much lower P levels), my first thoughts are to do something sensory that could appeal to a range of abilities - and I saw something today that could possibly help.

I was looking today at the Oxfam water week resources and they have a powerpoint and lesson plans about the need for water and it covers all the senses. It was designed specifically for pupils with PMLD. I don't know how to put links in here but google it and you should find it. I know this isn't strictly literacy but I'm sure you could vary it accordingly, especially as you have experience with this sort of thing. I don't know if this is of any interest to you but it's a start!

4. Thank you, it is a good start. I was going along the sensory lines, but I'm just not sure, like I say, how to plan for children when you know nothing about their learning behaviours! I will have a search on the Oxfam site.